Author Topic: Chainbreakers  (Read 951 times)

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
Chainbreakers
« on: June 13, 2013, 18:30:07 »
I used to have a cheap, crappy chain breaker years ago, thinking about getting a new one to carry around on my adventures to the shops ;-)...would this one fit the bill for a strom? (watch the vid)

http://terra-x.com.au/chainbreaker/
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
Re: Chainbreakers
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 22:05:10 »
Looks like a decent bit of kit. Simple in design and use and nice and small too.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline greywolf

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 22:46:34 »
I prefer a riveter to have a receiving die rather than a simple spreader like the ball bearing shown. The breaker function looks good though and such a small tool would be handy to add to the tool kit for emergencies.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline Andy M

• Bike: Hurley-Pugh Empire Wildebeeste Manx Thruxton
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 07:32:29 »
Looks OK, but why carry it round with you? In all the time I've been riding I've only seen one chain break. It went 150 miles from the dealer who'd mucked up fitting it.

For emergencies why not just carry a clip link and a punch to drive out the old pin? They may not be reccomended but clip links will often survive the whole life of the chain, so you need not worry about using one to get yourself to a workshop and they are a heck of a lot easier to carry about as unused anti-lift kit.

OT, I once met a bloke in Norway carrying a spare BMW drive shaft just-in-case  :crazy:

Andy

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 07:40:46 »
lol. There's a dedicated space for one under the seat with all the spare fuse holders I hear..

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 09:30:53 »
OT, I once met a bloke in Norway carrying a spare BMW drive shaft just-in-case

lol  

For years I carried my poor (and bent) chain-tool, and a link around in a baccy tin with rubber patches, glue and spoke spanners and tyre levers (most of my bikes were tubed). Never needed the link on the road, but now I'm contemplating longer trips, even if they are a year or two or three away at present :grin:

And...I love tools, me :shy:

But you're probably right, a punch, a link, a rock and a mad look in my eye would do the job!
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi