Author Topic: Another 1st Month on the Glee  (Read 1296 times)

Offline Firestorm

Another 1st Month on the Glee
« on: June 11, 2013, 16:29:55 »
Had my Glee for a month now so time for a short report. I've done around 1300 miles and am still really pleased. Mrs Firestorm likes its comfort and riding position and having tested it 2 up for a couple of 100 mile runs I'm pleased with the way it performed - particularly as I'm getting 70 ish to the gallon on windy A/B road! Comfort for me is not quite as good as the BMW 1150RT I swapped for it but is light years better than my old Vee so it looks as if it'll be staying for a good while and I won't be looking for seat rebuilds/replacements. Handling is great (for me) and its light  and most importantly - Fun. This is where the BM was a bit of a let down - great on Motorways / fast A roads but dull and uninteresting everywhere else.The Glee isn't as good on the Motorway as the BM (was never going to be) but is perfectly acceptable and, to its credit, I find the Vario screen better than the standard screen on the BM. Brakes are OK - no where near the power of the servo system on the BM but nowhere near the worry either so that'll do for me. HH pads when they need changing is all I'll do. Suspension is OK - I'll put some thicker oil in the forks at some point but the rear is staying as it is until it leaks! A tweak on the damping screw is all I've done.
I've taken a little free play out of the throttle cable - only because I dislike too much as it makes take off a bit 'grabby' in my ham fists. I'm slowly taking all the bolts out and greasing so they'll come out when I need them to.
Givi rails fitted, Topbox fitted, PDOiler on its way and a tankbag to source and its all systems go! One thing I'd like to do is fit a tidy switch so I can turn one headlight off as Greywolf has done. I'll ask his advice before I do that - and probably wait until the Warranty runs out in October. Oh - and update my Avatar!

All in all - one happy Firestorm!

Offline jabmotorsport

• Four Time Quad Bike Champion
Re: Another 1st Month on the Glee
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 17:01:07 »
I've done the headlight cut off too ... a nice neat little mod  :thumb:
tinker, tweek, fettle....bodge, bang, bugger!!!

Offline Locky

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 800xc & Yamaha TTR250
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 20:03:39 »
You could get a Airhawk to improve comfort , I got one 6 months ago for £50 off ebay and its fantastic ..and for less than £100 you could get a Hagon fork spring kit .

Offline Firestorm

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 13:34:40 »
I'll see how I get on with our French trip before I consider seating as that will be a couple of thousand miles. Evidence to date suggests I'll be OK. As to changing springs - I'm happy enough with the standard ones I think, I'd just like a little more damping and thicker oil is a cheap fix.

What switches do people use for the headlight cut off? I want something that's tidy and unobtrusive.

Offline frez

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 13:53:50 »
Not sure about switches, but turning off a light won't save you any power as the bike uses a permanent magnet generator so what isn't used is burned off as heat in the reg/rec, it will just leave more headroom if you need to run heated clothing etc, and of course save you a little on replacement bulbs.

I expect your BMW had a field controlled generator like a car that more or less only generates the power it needs.
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 14:00:10 »
I think that is the reason they perform the mod frez, to provide more current for other things..

Offline greywolf

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 15:36:57 »
Right. I don't turn off a headlight unless my heated grips, jacket liner, gloves, trouser liner and boot soles are turned up more than halfway on the heat controllers.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 20:00:02 »
Eastern Beaver sells the headlight cut off kit, you can make one yourself, but you have to be good to do it as nice as his. Make sure both lights are turned on if you don't have a lot of other things running off the system. If you turn off one of the lights when nothing else is drawing enough extra current then the generator will get too warn and this can cause problems in the long run.

Are you sure you need thicker oil in the forks? I ask because as far as I'm aware the Stroms are already over damped. If you have brake dive you need higher rated springs and then it would be a good idea to rather go to thinner oil to get rid of the harsh damping. 10W is 'stock' so 7.5W is probably a good choice, you don't want to go much less than that.

Glad you're getting along with the Glee :thumb:
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Firestorm

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 20:29:54 »
Thanks for this All. Juvecu - no, not sure as yet about the thicker oil as I'm messing with preload and 2 up suspension settings at present. I will know better what suits me with some more miles. Its just that I've done it on several bikes and quite firm damping suits my riding. I'll see where I end up with preload and decide from there - I can tinker for weeks with suspension! Thanks for the info on the generator - I didn't know it was fixed output and will only do the headlight mod if I fit heated grips and plug insoles in.

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 22:36:39 »
I doubt you'd need it with just heated grips and insoles, might be a good idea to get a cheap voltage meter installed to know for sure.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 22:53:26 »
I ran heated gloves, heated jacket and very occasionally heated socks (didn't really get on with them) on the Glee in the winter and had no battery issues. Just make sure you switch them off if you end up spending a lot of time stuck in traffic with the engine idling. I used to switch them off when I got back into central London for the last bit... didn't really need the heated stuff at those speeds anyway.

Offline Firestorm

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 09:27:22 »
Good advice Folks - many thanks.

Offline Andy M

• Bike: Hurley-Pugh Empire Wildebeeste Manx Thruxton
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 10:49:02 »
Using fiddle factors that have served me well over Elefant rallies and sidecar trips to Finland (knock 10% off what the bike manufacturers claim for not being at optimum RPM, knock another 5% off at 5C then another at 0 then another at minus 10 and so on, add 5% to what any accessory claims for bad connections and extra wiring) and the Wee has enough electrical power for UK lattitudes solo with both headlights. You only need the switch if your pillion will run their hair straighteners/every form of heated kit going and/or you will use all this gear for trips under 15 miles.

If you don't want the wiring hassle, either switch off your jackets for 15 minutes in each half hour and when 15 miles from your destination or get into the habit (if practical) of plugging into a trickle charger after each two up ride. I doubt you can take enough power to kill the engine, it'll be next day when the cold battery won't want to crank.

I do have one fitted but have never used it in anger. If it's warm enough for Karen to ride I don't need the heated kit.

If you want to go all extreme-adventure-adventurer there is also the option to keep the battery in the sleeping bag with you, or get your Special Friend to do it!  :sarc:  lol

Andy