Author Topic: DL1000 k2 brake mount  (Read 643 times)

Offline ringo grumio nibbler

DL1000 k2 brake mount
« on: March 22, 2013, 16:01:51 »
Hi chaps.  Mine failed its retest today as the mounting bracket was so worn in the tubes that the caliper couldn't be mounted flush.  The subsequent rattling pads (new) sheared the seat that the pad sits in.  I also overlooked the fact that the fork seal advisory was actually a compulsory repair for retest so I'm now off the road and need to commute everyday.

Does anybody know of a K2 breaking anywhere as I need to replace the brake mounting bracket (edit: managed get one for £20 from ebay)and get the fork seals done, even though I only had them done 7 months ago?  I'm putting the seals perishing so quickly down to my winter commute and the salt.  Either that or the lad who fitted them did a poor job.  I also need a replacement boot for the thicker of the two mounting bolts, but should probably replace bot - nowt on eBay, but I doubt that even the main stealers could charge too much for those

I'm also open to offers for anybody looking for the Vee as I test rode a DL650 today and it's more what I need for economy.  I have to say that the Wee surprised me a little after reading on here how they were pretty much a match for the Vee.  The lack of grunt over taking was the first thing, although it wasn't so bad as to have caused me a problem and also the much reduced engine braking.  The seat seemed a canny bit harder and the front brake had too much play in it, but might just need adjusting.  I like to brake with 2 fingers while blipping the throttle while changing down and found that I couldn't pull the lever in quite far enough as the fingers that remained on the throttle were in the way.  I'm sure that I'll soon adapt though.

Offline ringo grumio nibbler

Re: DL1000 k2 brake mount
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 17:34:54 »
Well after struggling to get it booked in anywhere week after week, I finally got it into a local garage and TWO weeks later its MOT'd.

My cack handed cross threading of the rear brake caliper had lead to a damaged mount and a bent caliper, but got both off e-bay for £19. Fork seals also replaced and MOT'd all for £150.

I'm more than happy with that.

Cue the shite weather now that I'm back on the road.