Author Topic: Versys 1000 update  (Read 3192 times)

Offline cearnshaw

Re: Versys 1000 update
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2012, 12:07:42 »
Not image, it's cold protection. I had them on the Wee, first thing I noticed swapping to the Versys was just how cold my hands were getting using the same gloves. No bother, It was April, soon be summer. Thought I'd stick it out and get some guards on for the winter. Well, summer never happened so I stuck em on in July. Hands warmer and drier now. Came home down the M6 in a torrent on monday night. Hands not not bone dry but not as sodden as they would have been without the guards on. to be honest Id've been happy without  reinforced guards but preferred the look of the SW motech ones over the KTM ones.
Honda xr125, Bandit 650, v-strom 650 ABS 2001 W650 Versys 1000

Offline jimbo8098

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2012, 13:13:44 »
I almost got one of these , then I came accross the V_Strom :>

The insurance for me , as an 18 year old , was absolutely atrocious too... The V-Strom is better in that respect (£250/month  as opposed to £500 or so per month :shock: )

Also the Versys seemed a bit too sporty for my liking whereas the V seemed more sorted for touring and the long haul. Have you had any problems with that on the Versys? Of course you are using the 1000 but the design is similar on the 650 , does it feel OK to actually sit on for long periods of time?

Offline cearnshaw

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2012, 14:00:16 »
absolutely. Spent 8hrs in the saddle a few weeks ago (other than fuel stops and going for a pee) and no probs at all. The seat is super-comfy and it's a better in the leg area for me. On the Wee I got a bit of knee ache on all day ride-outs. The benefit of age, I pay £300/yr for it on a multibike policy with business use  :)

Offline cearnshaw

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2013, 18:30:35 »
1 year on, ridden through winter most days and as we know it's been a stinker. Has not put a foot wrong, started on the button every time even at -10C. No corrosion issues and is still looking fine (but ugly :)  )

No major issues, some owners report a bit of chain noise but I've not had this using Silkolene wet lube.

I am still  loving the added power , and have not had any front end issues as reported in the press rides

downsides: fuel economy is poor for my winter commuting at 38mpg or around 170miles/tank. This is not a bike that likes to be idle. get it moving on a decent run and it will manage 55mpg which is pretty good for a 1000cc bike

Screen buffeting: solved with MRA. Nothing new there then

Tyres: It came with Pirelli Scorpions  dual purpose tyres. I have just swapped these for some Metzeler Z8s and what a difference to handling they have made. Noticeable improvement in cornering ability and leaning further even in the sub-zero temps. It's about time the manufacturers recognised that most of our riding is on-road and fitted decent road/sports-touring rubber instead of pretending that we're all going green-laning on them

So I'm still happy with it and can see me keeping it for another couple of years at least before I get itchy feet

Offline Jacksnipe

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2013, 22:56:50 »
Great review of a great bike. I spent a good period road testing the new bigger Versy's, and found it to be an all round superb bike. You can keep your GS's for the once in a lifetime situation when you take the wrong desert road in down town UTAH ! spend the rest of the time on the Versy's metaphorically blowing the old boxer away. Perhaps the V could have a smidgen less thirst for this day and age but that kind of ultra usable power comes from somewhere ! If Suzuki manage to get the go and handling and braking as good if not better than the V with better MPG then once word gets round they will be onto a winner. I am not persuaded much by looks, its how it goes and handles. To most folk (None Bikers) one bike looks very much like another boring and irrelevant, many youth of the day seem to me would rather piss about on a smart phone and go off into some dummies fantasy world than drool over a new motorbike that can actually take you some place where you can actually experience the pull of gravity, speed and dare I say it danger.

WM

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2013, 08:37:02 »
Thanks for the update, chris :thumb:   -10 C ! These days I'd get the bus :old:
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Georgeharrier

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2013, 12:26:55 »
Was looking at a Versys 1000 on Saturday and lke it a lot. Had my Wee now for almost 3 years and love it but still miss the power of my ZZR1100 and RSV Mille. The Z1000 Kawasaki engine is a well proven, craking piece of kit.  Looking at trying to do a deal on one towards the end of May when I return from my Norway jaunt.  Will let you know how it goes and post a review if I sort one out.

George
George T

Its pointless owning a parrot unless you teach it to say "HELP THEY TURNED ME INTO A PARROT"

Life is a game to be played not a battle to be fought.