Author Topic: Brake Disc Rust  (Read 908 times)

Offline Descolada

Brake Disc Rust
« on: April 11, 2013, 14:36:28 »
Hi Folks,

If I leave my wee for any length of time (one-ridden) a sheen of rust starts to develop pretty quickly on my brake discs. I was wondering if others saw this behavior and just ignored it (in the knowledge that it will clean up next time the bike is used), or if you cleaned it off using some other method.

Thanks!

Offline greywolf

Re: Brake Disc Rust
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 14:57:58 »
It's normal in damp conditions when brakes are not used for a while, especially if there is salt in the air. The grade of stainless steel required to hold up to the rigors of braking will develop a surface discoloration but it won't penetrate. Using the brakes again will remove that. No coating will work as it will be quickly worn off and affect braking. A Scotch Brite pad can be used if you want. Never use ordinary steel wool on stainless. I wouldn't even use stainless steel wool on brakes. Tiny particles embed themselves and can affect braking.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline Andy M

• Bike: Hurley-Pugh Empire Wildebeeste Manx Thruxton
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 17:05:31 »
Quote from: "greywolf"
. Tiny particles embed themselves and can affect braking.

Ten years doing brake type approvals and I never heard or thought of that one! Has to be true, although It'd be interesting to measure it. The iron powder/brake dust made by actually braking is either ejected or re-welds back to the rubbing surface. When you get the wrong pad the ratio of ejection to re-weld is one of problems, the powder acts as a lubricant so a seemingly harsh and grippy material goes off. Most pads are chosed to clear the majority unless very hot.

I would never go near any brake rubbing surface with any sort of cleaner. Just go for a ride, careful for the first few miles, then hard as you like to clear the surface. I could suggest things to polish but one of them is not your brakes!

Andy

Offline willbo

• crazy is contagious
  • Bike: 2010 dl650x
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 20:10:36 »
my brake disc shows signs of this so quickly its unreal, but a spin tends to remove it. I know I love a clean bike, and the state of my rear sprocket does my nut in.... shudder thinking of it. but I leave my brakes alone. safety first.

out of curiosity, anyone got a good idea of how to get a rear sprocket clean? the stains just won't come off. I have not tried anything abrasive other than a nylon brush and wd40 as I don't want to damage the sprocket or chain
I'm sane, honestly. . . I got a certificate to prove it!

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 21:07:23 »
When I go to Millport for the weekend my bike is parked about 20ft from the sea (at high tide), the brake discs change colour in about 48 hours if not used. At home, in the lock up, it would take weeks for the same effect to happen. Ignore it, it will do no harm.