Author Topic: Broken top box!  (Read 1886 times)

Offline loggamatt

Broken top box!
« on: February 02, 2013, 01:13:34 »
So, my ridiculously expensive Givi Trekker TRK52N top box has broken already! I've had it only about 4 or 5 months and one of the hinges has broken. Considering how much it cost, I'm rather disappointed! It has only had normal usage and as I opened it today, I realised that there was nothing holding that hinge together anymore.

Before I contact the company who sold it to me, I wonder whether you chaps know what my rights are here? Obviously, I should be entitled to a warranty replacement at least... but what I would actually like is my money back. My view on this is that if it's failed that easily in just a few months, a replacement will fail sooner or later too. I therefore don't trust this product anymore and would like to buy an alternative.

What are my rights here? Can I demand a refund, or do I just have to put up with a warranty replacement box?

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
Re: Broken top box!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 07:35:06 »
I'm pretty sure they only have to replace or repair by law. Money back is when it's not fit for purpose, hard to argue that when you've had it 5 months and only now there's a obvious fault arisen you're calling it in, they sort the fault, it's fit for purpose again.. You might get lucky if you stamp your feet though, you never know..

The missus used to work in retail, for 15 years, that's all I have to qualify the above..

On a personal note, I'm disappointed in Givi..

Offline matchless

• Bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 08:55:16 »
What's broken,has the hinge pin fallen out or is the hinge itself broken?
"It may be rubbish, but it's British rubbish !"

Offline Locky

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 800xc & Yamaha TTR250
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 09:16:35 »
Lets see a pic of the hinge , has the steel rod fell out or has the plastic broken ?

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 10:13:27 »
No plastic has broken that I can see, and the hinge pin isn't there anymore, so I guess that's what has happened. I'm sure I'd have noticed it falling out if it did so while I was opening the box, so it must have done it while on the move... god knows how that's possible though.

OK, I'll contact the company today and see where I get with asking for a refund... but I suspect that you're right and the best I'll get is a warranty replacement.

Offline Mitch

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 10:56:44 »
You'll do well to get a refund. From what I remember it used to be 28 days or less gives an option of a refund at the discretion of the retailer. You can try. If you are to buy an alternative from them they might look after you. Givi Do however list every part as a spare. I think if the pin has fallen out they'll repair or replace.
VSTROM - ADVENTURE IS OUT THERE

Offline matchless

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 16:15:19 »
The pin can only work it's way outwards as the hole is almost blocked on the inside, best thing to do with the pin if you get a replacement is to put a blob of super glue on the outer end before fitting , then  drive the other side out a little from the inner end and do the same to that, should stop the little devils doing it again! ( did that with mine when I noticed one had moved out a little)
The pins on the TomTom Rider mount can do the same thing so they benefit from the glue treatment  .  :)

Offline Jeff999

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 16:23:47 »
I phoned Givi UK and spoke to Sheena. I think she's the one with her finger on the pulse. I needed some small screws and she was very helpful. Tel num below.
01327 706220

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 20:17:58 »
Did a bit of googling on this and, as you chaps say, looks to be a common complaint with these top boxes! Ah well, hopefully with a replacement pin and some glue it'll be an easy fix... I'll make sure I get some spare pins too in case this happens again. I'll call Sheena tomorrow... thanks!

Offline Tusker

• Bike: NO BIKE
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 20:20:22 »
Quote from: "loggamatt"
Did a bit of googling on this and, as you chaps say, looks to be a common complaint with these top boxes! Ah well, hopefully with a replacement pin and some glue it'll be an easy fix... I'll make sure I get some spare pins too in case this happens again. I'll call Sheena tomorrow... thanks!

I'm no expert but aren't the pins usually riveted in  otherwise you'll gum the hinge up

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 20:27:45 »
I would have thought so, but apparently Matchless has had success with putting a little glue on the end...

Will see what the Givi lady says anyway... it sounds like this is a widespread problem, so I'm sure they have figured out the company line on advice for stopping it happening again!

Offline Strommer

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 13:39:20 »
Easy enough to break into then, just pop the pins out.

A disgrace to biking...

Offline snowy

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 15:14:32 »
Hi there

It's a good job you only paid £200 for this plastic shite :sarc:

Offline matchless

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 17:51:25 »
Quote from: "Strommer"
Easy enough to break into then, just pop the pins out.

A large screwdriver will get you into most top boxes, without the bother of pushing pins out. :)

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 18:17:45 »
Yeah, this whole thing has certainly made me think again about bike security when travelling! Can't rely on top boxes to deter a thief for very long at all... as mentioned in another thread, I'm going to get an alarmed disc lock in the hope that anyone messing about with my top box nudges the bike enough to set that off.

Spoke to a bloke called Tom at Givi UK (Sheena was on the other phone), who said he would send me a couple of replacement pins "this time..." in such a way as to suggest he was doing me a big favour! My feelings were that sending replacement pins to fix their faulty top box design was the least he could do, but as the upshot is that I'm getting the pins I thought I would let the attitude slide. He had no advice about stopping it happening again besides putting some glue on it, as Matchless suggested.

Oh well, glad this happened now instead of in the middle of my planned European travels this year!

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 18:54:48 »
that's why I have stuck with the Suzuki OEM (SOFT branded) topbox...

look at it and any thief would think "that's sooo crap no one would ever put anything valuable in there, they must just use it to keep the fags and lighter dry!"

Ride Coordinator

Offline jabmotorsport

• Four Time Quad Bike Champion
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 09:21:09 »
hmm .. better check mine before ST6 then  :angry-tappingfoot:
tinker, tweek, fettle....bodge, bang, bugger!!!

Offline Abercol

• Bike: 2016 Explorer XRT
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2013, 10:14:49 »
Quote from: "mr_diver"
that's why I have stuck with the Suzuki OEM (SOFT branded) topbox..

Hmmmm, I stuck with the Suzuki OEM topbox 'cos I'm a cheapskate!