Author Topic: Noisy 4th Gear  (Read 1308 times)

Offline Descolada

Noisy 4th Gear
« on: February 01, 2013, 10:18:04 »
Hi All,

Is there any knowledge here of issues with 4th gear on a K9 wee?

I have noticed that at 30mph at about 3k rpm my 4th seems an awful lot noisier that the rest. Am still trying to localise the noise but it does seem to be very much linked to 4th gear. Could be a bearing, there's plenty of oil in the beastie?

I know it's a little vague, but any help on narrowing down the cause would be hugely appreciated, as would an avalanche of "that's normal" replies.

I will put my hand up and say that I am still very new to this bike (6 week minus 2 for snow and ice), so it could just be inexperience.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Fatbelly

Re: Noisy 4th Gear
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 10:29:46 »
I'm not known for avoiding the stupid answer, so at the risk of looking stupid (again) here's a daft suggestion.

Are you sure the noise is related to 4th gear and not a certain speed? I have noticed with various "dual purpose" type tyres like ours that sometimes they like to "sing" at a certain speed. I had a set of Trailwings on my old Vee that gave a distinctive whine from the front tyre at about 45-55mph.

I also noticed it with Anakees on my old Varadero.

Told you it was daft. :shrug:

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 10:34:58 »
Mine resonates at 35mph on one single hill and never anywhere else, it has done this from new. I will find out this week if it's the tyres when I ride up it on Anakee's for the first time.
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline Descolada

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 10:38:40 »
Quote from: "Fatbelly"
I'm not known for avoiding the stupid answer, so at the risk of looking stupid (again) here's a daft suggestion.

Are you sure the noise is related to 4th gear and not a certain speed? I have noticed with various "dual purpose" type tyres like ours that sometimes they like to "sing" at a certain speed. I had a set of Trailwings on my old Vee that gave a distinctive whine from the front tyre at about 45-55mph.

I also noticed it with Anakees on my old Varadero.

Told you it was daft. :shrug:

The reason I like this forum is that there usually isn't such a thing as a stupid question, we all have to start somewhere matey!

Having said that, I am completely open to your suggestion. I did in fact suspect a cowling vibration when I noticed it but it could just as easily be a vibration caused by the tyres.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 10:46:06 »
I'll check this out for you later to see if mine does it...  :shrug:  

couldn't say I've noticed it before.

it could just be that traveling at the same speed, but changing up to lover revs and increase MPG would change the engine speed and cause a resonance or one to become more apparent with the lower engine nose/tone.

Try riding a Deauville, they knock, bang ding and whistle as various speed. and the grinding sound you get at low speed (-10mph) that's only the universal joint moving.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Descolada

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 10:57:38 »
Quote from: "mr_diver"
I'll check this out for you later to see if mine does it...  :shrug:  

couldn't say I've noticed it before.

it could just be that traveling at the same speed, but changing up to lover revs and increase MPG would change the engine speed and cause a resonance or one to become more apparent with the lower engine nose/tone.

Try riding a Deauville, they knock, bang ding and whistle as various speed. and the grinding sound you get at low speed (-10mph) that's only the universal joint moving.

Thank you, that's much appreciated. Funny you should mention the Deauville. A friend of mine is down to a choice of a Deauville or a V-strom for his next bike but following my search and recent purchase is now seriously considering a V-Strom as his first choice. I will let him know about this characteristic.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 11:35:49 »
there's 3 bikes in the garage, out of the 3 the Deauville is worth the most and is the one for sale.

V-strom 650 k6 - 36k miles
Deauville 700 K7 - 5kmiles
CX-500 - 1983 - 56kmiles

The Cx is in bits but was a laugh to ride and cost sod all is now a project I've been enjoying.

The strom is my everyday bike... I mean it gets used every day, to go to work, to go on holiday, to go offroad, to go to the shops, to scrape a few pegs. I love the thing, the engine's a peach. A good all round bike. Does everything OK and still puts a smile on your face every time. I'm sure you can inform him of the Strom's virtues.

The Deauville's concept is as a fuel efficient tourer/commuter. it's big to commute on and the steering is fairly heavy at slow speeds. Comfy for long periods. fairly upright sitting position. my legs (33" inside leg) are a bit long for the cut out sections along the bottom of the tank, but is OK. I put 25mm bar risers on it as I found the slight forward lean killed my bad back. Panniers are a tidy size and can be fitted with larger lids but are not removable apart for servicing. Shaft drive is low maintenance unlike chains. good clock layout (700 model) Good brakes and combined braking and ABS on Later models. Power is about the same as the strom but she's a fat bird doesn't pick up speed the same way the strom does. The mrs prefers pillion on the Deauville than the strom, but the strom is still comfy. Lots of options available.
there's a section on the Uk owners forum - SAD = Stopped And Dropped. when loaded with fuel she's quite top heavy and with a fairly lumpy engine (low low speed) many owners drop them. If buying second hand look for obvious damage to plastics. Don't get me wrong it's a great bike for what it was designed for, but I fell in love with the Strom.  :auto-dirtbike:

Ride Coordinator

Offline Descolada

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 12:09:18 »
Mr_diver - Thanks you so much for this, it's a very useful comparison from someone who actually owns both bikes. Great stuff.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 17:12:19 »
I haven't had chance to check for your interesting noise, I got out onto open quiet roads and my problem from the last few days reappeared and I spent an hour running on the rear cylinder trying to get home. :fix:

the Deauville is a good bike and your mate won't be disappointed fit he bought one, but for me the wee is my bike of choice over more or less everything on the market. It just needs shaft drive!

Ride Coordinator

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 19:16:22 »
I took her for a run this afternoon and I was listening for any odd noise including my injectors not firing.

didn't hear anything out of the ordinary.

have a look on the members map if there is anyone local to you and see if they can take it for a spin.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Descolada

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 20:29:59 »
Quote from: "mr_diver"
I took her for a run this afternoon and I was listening for any odd noise including my injectors not firing.

didn't hear anything out of the ordinary.

have a look on the members map if there is anyone local to you and see if they can take it for a spin.

Thanks for checking. Good suggestion, will take a look.

Offline Strommer

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 08:54:00 »
maacracing is in Wormit - might be worth a PM if he's not on the rigs.

A disgrace to biking...