Author Topic: CrossTourer test-ride today  (Read 1138 times)

Offline macvisual

CrossTourer test-ride today
« on: October 05, 2012, 19:36:07 »
Had my Suzuki V-Strom DL1000 out a we blip today on dry roads with sunshine (rare I know), headed to my local Honda motorcycle dealer in Falkirk, had an one-planned test-ride on Honda's CrossTourer 1200cc 'V4', shaft drive, spoke wheels, heated grips, 21.5 litre fuel tank, gear indicator, full luggage, 133 brake horse power, 'ABS' brakes.........etc.......etc.

Took it out a short 40 mile run on back roads/twisties/dual carriageway etc, HOLY SMOKE, what fun, shaft drive is super smooooth up the gears (clutchless gear changes), mirrors that really work, comfy heated grips and riding position. I hit 97mph in 2nd gear on the rev limiter, THUG bike OK, superb!
Phenomenal brakes!! A brilliant all-rounder. I was riding along in 5th gear at 33mph remembering it pulling away so smoothly, fabulous 'V4' grunty engine, utterly stunning package!! Well done Honda.

Would I have one tomorrow.....(? ? ), hell YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm in love.

(p.s. did I mention the smooooothnes of the beautiful 'V4' engine).
K8 DL1000GT - K&N filter - Hel brake line - lowered front forks - Osram brighter/whiter bulbs - TRE module - 43 tooth Renthal rear sprocket

Offline Jacksnipe

Re: CrossTourer test-ride today
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 20:13:54 »
Sounds like you enjoyed the bike ! I have just sold a VFR 1200 F that I could not get on with at all. I disliked the fuelling and the handling, however they are supposed to have sorted this on the Crosstourer and it is making the best of the lovely V4. Quite frankly I far prefer riding the V Strom singularly or with pillion than I ever did the VFR. I prefer my K1200 RS for trips way over and above the VFR as well.
All manufactures make some big mistakes and the VFR1200 F was one of Honda's biggest recently, some punters have lost £6000, I got off lightly with about £2000 loss !

WM.

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 23:09:05 »
Sounds splendid, but given that it's more expensive than even the BMW or Triumph it should have a button that instantly converts it into an aircraft or tank or something.

Offline jimbo8098

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 23:16:28 »
It's little because (Crossrunner) was one I thought about before coming to my senses and getting a Strom.

I've been on singles before the Strom , the Strom feels like silk to me!

I find the mirrors are actually OK.

The daytonas I have are OK but could be better. It is an easy fix , but not absolutely essential.

I find the riding position on the Strom fine , but then I'm 19 lol The CrossTourer looks a bit more hunchback than the Strom.

Oh , and MCN say Aviva insurance class it as a sports bike and don't allow pillions lol

Offline Coval

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 00:07:13 »
I agree, Honda have made a big mistake with a VFR1200f, whereas it looks stunning, its utility is neither here or there. A 1200cc bike suggests inter-continental ability, but with a pityful 150 mile (at best) tank range it's a joke. I was looking forward to an equivalent for a Yamaha FJR1300, but it's no match.

VFR800Fi with gear driven cams, now, why don't they make a modern day replacement?
Piaggio X9 250 > Kawa GPZ900R > Yam GTS1000 > Yam TDM900 > Yam FJR1300 > K7 Wee & '98 VFR800Fi

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
CrossTourer test-ride today
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 07:46:53 »
I ride with a bloke who has the revised 2012 VFR (0.5l more tank capacity, Woohoo...), he gets 200 miles to a tank.. I even took a pic to prove it at one of our fuel stops..

Don't believe all you read about the VFRs range in the biking press, it's written by hamfisted power junkies that never use the top two gears and who's work is picking up the fuel bill..

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 08:27:50 »
VFR800Fi with gear driven cams, now, why don't they make a modern day replacement?

I had one of these an in reality it was probably the best bike I've ever owned. Real shame that Honda brought out the VTEC and ruined it. There are several recorded bikes having done over 500,000 miles on one engine with nothing more than routine maintenance. V4 engines feel quite different from V twins and in line fours and everyone should try one. I also had a little NC30 (400cc V4) and that was a little jewel. Probably the best handling bike I've ever ridden. Never fancied the VFR1200. Too big are far too complicated.

Offline Coval

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 00:51:27 »
I ride the VFR on a "week on - week off" basis, this way neither bike will suffer from under use and flat battery problems I had in the past.

800Fi has a solid reputation, V4 motor's longevity is legendary mainly to the simple engineering with gear driven cams being one of the advantages. The VTEC system though sound in principle, has over complicated things and made servicing more costly.

As for the tank range, one of the previous owners of my Wee, has made a note of his exploits, which state a range of 325.3 miles before filling up. Whereas I don't doubt him telling the truth, I haven't heard of anyone else achieving this range on this forum, with my own max. being 290.
The same principle applies to the VFR1200, ham fisted or not 18l. tank doesn't last long, especially when you have to allow for a decent reserve.
Piaggio X9 250 > Kawa GPZ900R > Yam GTS1000 > Yam TDM900 > Yam FJR1300 > K7 Wee & '98 VFR800Fi

Offline madmatt1983

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 00:56:37 »
I work for Honda and the crosstourer is the best bike they make by far :-) I would buy one if I had the cash and owned a petrol station

Offline 2112

• Bike: Honda 750 Transalp, Victory Crossroads 1731
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 07:51:20 »
Prompted by Macvisual's excellent reveiw I decided to plonk my lardy arse on one yesterday. I didn't bother with a test ride as straight away I found it a bit too small, nowhere near as spacious as the Guzzi. They do look well screwed together however and being a Honda will quite likely go forever. I wonder if they'll do a man size version ?
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 09:27:42 »
The VFR800Fi was the last one to use gear driven cams. The VTEC went back to chains. It was over complicated, more expensive to service and had no practical benefit at all. The non VTEC 800Fi in one review actually beat a Ducati 916 in a top gear roll on so it certainly didn't lack torque at low revs. I rode an early VTEC and when the VTEC kicked in (went from a two valve motor to using all it's valves very suddenly), it was rather like an old fashioned turbo kicking in. Potentially dodgy on wet and greasy roads.

The VTEC 800s had very poor bottom end fuel injection (far worse than any Vee!).  I was behind a mate on one who had stopped in the centre of the road to turn right. He started to pull away and turn, and the engine just died and over he went. Honda denied any problem etc. etc. This cutting out just as on opening the throttle often happened, and he dropped it again when we were in France and this time he threatened to take Honda to court to pay for the repairs. Subsequently got shot of it and bought a BMW! It was Honda saying "look what we can do, aren't we clever" regardless of any benefits of the final product. I believe Honda did sort the problem out but only after a lot of complaints and expensive repair bills.