Author Topic: Bash Plate by Right Part Racing - Israel  (Read 1406 times)

Offline jabmotorsport

• Four Time Quad Bike Champion
Re: Bash Plate by Right Part Racing - Israel
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 22:25:20 »
Looks fantastic .. I want one!
tinker, tweek, fettle....bodge, bang, bugger!!!

Offline bencav

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 22:53:32 »
On the +ve side, it covers more of the oil filter, but on the -ve, it looks gash imho - doesn't seem to be very close fitting at the front. can't grumble for the price though. Thee pic of the 4 hands under the bike made me chuckle inside a little!!

Offline nickwin100

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 20:41:23 »
Thanks for the replies and comments.

I think it might look better when installed with crash bars. I have givi bars and the bars and joint running in front of the engine (should run above the top of the plate) may make the skid plate look less "far away" from the engine at the front.

I like the Suzuki name in cut-outs on one side and the fact that the overall plate is not too large. If I get one I may install some metal straps from the front of the bash plate to the bars.

I put the post up in case anyone on the forum has purchased one.....but I'd like to hear from any of you about what you think of it from looking the pictures.....yes, that picture of two sets of hands below the bike seemingly doing something, with nothing it sight, is rather funny.

Thanks again and any of you reading this and taking a look at the bash plate please can let me know what you think. I'm in two minds whether to buy one not

:ty:

Nick

Offline bencav

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 22:53:19 »
BINGO!! It looks crappy as there are no crash bars fitted! You are right - it would look more balanced at the front with bars!

Offline nickwin100

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 09:48:41 »
Thanks Jabmotosport and Bencav for your feedback/comments.

I've ordered one....When I've received and fitted it I'll post comments on the service and product and some photos of what it looks like installed on the bike.

I'm hoping it'll give adequate protection and I still, myself, like to look of it....I hope it'll look good when on the bike with the bars.

I'd still be interested in comments from anyone else on what they think of it from the pictures on ebay.

Here's the link:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-V-strom-650-DL-Bash-Guard-Protector-2004-2012-Aluminum-Anodized-BLACK-NEW-/251111602880?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D701390779725362908%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26

Nick

Offline 2112

• Bike: Honda 750 Transalp, Victory Crossroads 1731
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 09:54:13 »
At the price you can't be robbed ! I look forward to your review   :thumb:
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline raggydan

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 15:20:06 »
there's no mention of it fitting if crash bars are fitted?

Offline nickwin100

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 16:57:08 »
Yes. It could be a problem but I've looked at the photos and compared them with the bike with the bars installed and it looks like it will be fine.  it appears that the top of the bash plate will be about 30mm below the front of the givi bars and the sides of the plate don't look like they are high enough to interfere with the side bars. I'll soon find out!
Thanks for the comment. :thumb:
Nick

Offline nickwin100

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 20:20:37 »
Well, I received the bash plate. Had to pay £25 customer charges. The build quality is good but I'm having difficulty fitting it with the Centre stand in place. It looks like the rear bracket is designed to bolt to the lugs where the Centre Stand itself is installed.  The unit sent also is not exactly the same as in the pictures, so I wondering if they have sent me a different version by mistake. They appear to offer a unit to fit all DL650 models/years.  I've asked some questions so will let you know what they say.

I trial mounted it today, without the rear bracket in place, and it looks nice. Much better with the crash-bars in place. If they don't have a different version I think I can modify the rear of the plate and the bracket slightly and it should fit.

They have been really helpful so far so I'm hopeful I'll be able to sort out the rear mounting arrangement.

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 21:42:16 »
Cheers for the honest update, nick...Good luck with the fitting :thumb:
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline nickwin100

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2012, 12:59:30 »
Further update.

Right part have agreed that the plate will not fit with a centre-stand installed and offered a full refund. I have decided to keep it and they have refunded half the cost plus the customs fees.

It looks like I need to cut-off 50mm from the rear of the plate to prevent it hitting the centre-stand and then modify the rear bracket or add a front support off the crash bars. Should be easy to do. The plate is 4mm thick Aluminium so will cut easy.

here are a couple of pics of the as supplied item on the bike:

Nick

Offline nickwin100

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2012, 22:14:00 »
Well, I cut about 30mm of the rear edge and made a bracket to attach the front to the Givi Crash Bars using 2 Stauff Clamps.

Below is how it looks...

Nick  :text-givemebeer:

Offline bencav

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 08:32:21 »
that's looks crackin - esp for £65ish!

Well dione on getting it to fit! What was the original mounting for the front of the pan, if the bracket in the pics was an add on?

Offline 2112

• Bike: Honda 750 Transalp, Victory Crossroads 1731
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 21:07:34 »
Good work, looks tidy  :thumb:
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline nickwin100

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 21:19:13 »
Thanks,

The original mounts were at the rear and mid-way, nothing at the front. The rear mount was designed to pick-up on the bracket where the centre stand is bolted and so I did not use it (was not possible in any case as I cut the mounting holes off when I removed the 30mm off the rear).