Author Topic: Hello from sunny south Wales!  (Read 3378 times)

Offline s-d

• Bike: DL650 L2
Re: Hello from sunny south Wales!
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2012, 20:45:07 »
Vee/Wee I figured out, the GLee being a derivative of the Gladius sailed over my head, thanks for clarifying. I never noticed the headlights, though the styling is delicate. No aggression there at all. I think that's good, helps to differentiate it.

Funny, the first bike I thought I wanted  was a Harley Sportster or a 48, closely followed by an America. Completely impractical, even as a pose machine, here in shitsville ;) Still love the look though.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2012, 22:11:19 »
Quote from: "s-d"
Funny, the first bike I thought I wanted  was a Harley Sportster or a 48, closely followed by an America. Completely impractical, even as a pose machine, here in shitsville ;) Still love the look though.

I was also thinking 1200 sportster... bought the strom 2 years ago... in 2 hours time exactly to the day... (just renewed insurance lol)
and went to the NEC bike show, sat on the Harleys- F##K are they small considering the size of your average American... I'm 6ft and 34" leg, I felt like a monkey sitting on the Sportsters, by bringing my elbow in 2" I could touch me knees! only bike that fitted was the Electra or Fat Boy/Bob, and I'm not that much of a prick! Just... lol
the 48 looked like the tank was off another bike and the one they could get to go on it is about 8" short of the seat..

but I needed to scratch the quirky/cruiser itch so I bought this...

got her running right, took her to work and she started leaking oil, and blew a fork seal. but I was pushing a 30 year old bike to 95mph  :auto-dirtbike:
she's now sat in bits in my garage waiting for me to get a week off to do something with dropping the engine out.  :bawl:

where is shitsville, could describe Swansea, Port Talbot, Neath, Bridgend, Cardiff, oh hell most of south Wales!

Ride Coordinator

Offline s-d

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2012, 07:57:33 »
I think 48 refers to the mileage from that tiny tank! But that's the impracticality inherent in a lot of those custom style bikes, I love the look of them but I now know I need a bike that can take me places. I love the rough crafts bikes and the 883 Iron Harley but never sat on one. I did however sit on an America and it was huge! Tank like a table top and big wide seat. I'm 5ft 11ish, medium size. In TR Cwmbran there was a Harley right next to a Glee and it looked tiny!

Its purely eyecandy but I visit bikeexif.com regularly - love the naked gold wing customs. I like vintage bikes generally - wish I had the skills to do up an old bike like that Honda. Didn't know they did guzzi-style V twins?

Shitsville, yeah could be a lot of towns round here, I updated my profile with my location.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2012, 08:39:55 »
the CX range included many styles,
the standard looks of the late 70's, a more sports orientated (EuroSport) , a touring version (Silverwing), Custom and the widow making Turbo's.
Most models were mare in 500 and 650cc, but the 500 were better  :shy:

never a popular bike at the time, and got the name "Plastic Maggot! but shaft drive, v-twin and Honda reliability made them a popular bike with the dispatch riders in London. Many examples reaching 250k miles.

great feeling to sit at the lights, blip the throttle and feel the bike rock from side to side.

Ride Coordinator

Offline s-d

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2012, 09:10:59 »
At some point I'll learn why some bikes use chain drive while others have shaft drive. Seems that an enclosed shaft drive with lubrication built in would be superior but loads of bikes still use a chain. Only two things I can think of are cost and weight.

Btw there's a 1977 Yamaha xs750 in one of the bike mags this month, lovely looking machine.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2012, 10:01:08 »
lol
the mrs cousin is customizing one atm, he paid £60 of it so you can tell what condition it was in... but him and his dad are experts at this...

and this is the latest... very customized triumph T100 '67 frame, Harley 1000cc Sportster engine.

4 years in the making... 2 years the frame lived under the piano in their dinning room while he chose the paint colour.

Ride Coordinator

Offline s-d

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2012, 10:23:11 »
oh wow! Fantastic, love the colour on the blue one he made a good choice :) [s:3qx7mce7]Looks like a Harley engine and a triumph tank?[/code][/s:3qx7mce7] didn't read the caption! Where are they based?

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2012, 12:48:20 »
Port talbot

They have on the number plates as a tag "C N C" translated as 'Cock Nosed Chops'

taking the piss out of the blokes that pay thousands for Screaming eagle parts and custom workshops work.

this is all done in there garage, every bit of fabrication.

very talented blokes. the green one has gone up for sale at around £10,000 but he don't want to let it go, the blue one will not be sold, some bloke has offered £20,000 for it and got turned down.  :shrug:

Ride Coordinator

Offline s-d

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2012, 18:37:08 »
Quote from: "mr_diver"
this is all done in there garage, every bit of fabrication.

Excellent. This is the kind of thing that made the Isles what it is :)