Author Topic: Not ridden for two weeks and speedo stopped working.  (Read 1282 times)

Offline Descolada

Not ridden for two weeks and speedo stopped working.
« on: April 12, 2013, 08:49:26 »
Hi Folks,

It's been nearly two weeks since I was able to ride my wee, so I was very pleased to get back on her this morning for the daily commute. Turned the ignition on, all gauges did their pre-flight check, no errors indicated and off I went.

Next thing I know, I glance down at the speedo and it is not moving - it's just sitting on the zero mark. The gauge worked just fine on the pre-flight gauge test so I did not expect any problems. The last thing I did before putting her away for my break was to give her a good wash and clean. I am wondering if I hit something or yanked on any cables while washing her.

The is an ABS K9. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could try next or is this something obvious?

Suggestions are much appreciated.

Des

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
Re: Not ridden for two weeks and speedo stopped working.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 11:00:55 »
Hi des - I assume that the 'pre-flight' needle sweep is still working (like, if you went and turned on the ignition now the speedo would do its sweep?). If so, this might indicate a problem with the sensor (bit of a record on stroms - K7's usually - with these), or a break in the wiring.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/DL650-2004- ... elp-2.html

But, you mention washing it, I would first check connections around the binnacle, under the clocks, and there is a multi under the tank (but unlikely to have been affected by the wash)

The old 650 speedo sensor is on the front axle, a cable runs up the left fork leg. Sometimes the cable can get pinched/ tweaked maybe at the point where it is clamped in place, snapping one of the wires internally. Maybe movement when its been washed could do this? Does the cable look very strained anywhere along its length?

Don't forget, Greywolf will have some firmer suggestions soon :grin:  good luck
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Descolada

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 11:09:22 »
Hi Gassoon.

Yes, the 'pre-flight' as I call it is the ignition start-up test where the gauges all register and the fuel pump starts up. Am not sure of the correct term for this but it is all fine. Both gauges register, no manufacturer errors and the dash does what it should. As with your suggestion, I am suspecting the sensor. I will re-check the cabling cause it is entirely possible I was not careful enough around these with the wash brush. Will take another (more careful) look when I can get out of the office.

Thanks for the assist matey!

Offline Descolada

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 19:46:05 »
UPDATE::

So this is a bit of an update to my speedo problem. On the way home tonight it started to come back to life. I had checked the cable between the sensor and the point at which it disappears up past the front cowling checking for tight spots, damage etc. Sure there is a tight bracket on the fork (near-side) that clamps the sensor cable as it snakes up into the cowling, but that has always been like this. Not sure if these were factory installed but there are cable ties helping to keep the cable in place as it makes its way up from the fork, over the brake pipe 'cluster' and off under the cowl.

Anyway, it didn't start working in a smooth "bang! there it is working again" sort of way, instead it worked then stopped, waited a while then bounced around for a bit and then started working again. Then it would stop dead and do nothing for a while before starting the whole thing all over again. By the time I neared home (30-40 minute trip) it seemed to be working as expected. Will need to see if I can take her out again tomorrow for a test to see if the speedo is still working.

My understanding of how these work is that they are electrical sensors and there are no moving parts (in the sensor at least). So I am not sure if there is anything that can seize and then loosen off later.

As before, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Des

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 19:56:24 »
I believe this is a known problem, which is why the speedo pickup was moved to the output shaft on the Glee.

Juv had this problem and had to replace the speedo pickup at the front wheel.

can't remember what it cost but I do remember the same year SV650 part will fit.

Ride Coordinator

Offline greywolf

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 20:42:29 »
The sensor is a Hall effect magnetic pickup. There is basically a four armed spinner inside the housing. It needs to be greased to keep from making noise but it is basically fool proof mechanically. All signs here point to a marginal electrical connection or a fault in the display panel.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline Descolada

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 11:11:54 »
Hi Folks,

A final update and then I will let this one die.

So I mentioned that my speedo was erratic on the way home last Friday. By the time I got home it seemed to have returned to working normally. I rode in this morning and it was working just fine. No signs of a problem.

So I don't really know what happened here. It could have been me trying one-snag the cabling or it could have been my attempt to check the connectors on the sensor. Either way, having seen the cost of a replacement I am just relieved for now but will keep a close eye on the speedo for any signs of a repeat performance.

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions.

Des