Author Topic: Touring two up  (Read 1173 times)

Offline Strommerboy

• Bike: DL 650 k9 with 43000 miles
Touring two up
« on: July 10, 2012, 18:47:57 »
At last I have persuaded Mrs Strommerboy of the joys of motorcycling. We've done a few trips around Norfolk, which she's enjoyed.  I've now got her to consider a trip with me to Sweden next year. I've read contradictory comments about the merits of the Wee for distance touring two up. Any thoughts?

Offline Piglumps

• Bike: None at this point
Re: Touring two up
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 19:44:44 »
The most ever done by the Current Lady P is 310 miles which was a bit of a killer - but for the most part the Wee is comfy, has sufficient power and works well for both rider and passenger.

Juvecu will be along soon, he and Lady J have done some serious touring milages and I'm sure he will advise on your planned trip..

Enjoy and ride safe!
No bike at present.......

Offline Locky

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 800xc & Yamaha TTR250
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 19:49:27 »
I found the rear suspension to soft , so fitted a Hyperpro spring . Otherwise its great 2 up , the pillion seat is comfortable and the pegs are in a good position . Still enough power and pulls nice .

Offline ADV.john

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 01:22:34 »
I've never had a problem two up. We are doing another trip this August to Germany this time.

Check this out: http://advjohnsblog.webs.com/

don't worry and go for it. just make sure you have a top box with a pad on it. So the boss is comfy and can nod of if needed. Mine does regulary
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TLD 2010:Lowestoft to Dingle. 767 miles.15hrs &3mins. 1763m in total
TLD 2011: Blackpool to The Eiffel Tower. 14hrs&35 mins 565 miles

Offline cabra

• Bike: 1995 Triumph Trident - 1976 Triumph Trident - 2011 Ducati Multistrada 1200s
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 09:14:11 »
Buy a Vee, this is where the extra grunt comes into its own and like I said in another (what shall we call it) post awhile back - the 650 is just toooo wee!  :neen:  :lala:  :neen:
 lol  lol  lol

Offline Iggy

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 09:25:48 »
Well, I originally bought my Wee as a winter bike for commuting but after a couple of short trips Mrs Iggy reckoned it to be the most comfy bike I've got.

Since then we've done around 11k miles on five decent trips on the Continent. We tend to toodle about on the smaller roads most of the time, but the bike can cope with pretty much anything and got us back from Barcelona in two 500+ mile days a few years ago. Its stable at an indicated 110 fully loaded too.

As has been mentioned, its worth beefing up the suspension at both ends and I have also improved the brakes and got a better seat among other things.

I sometimes miss the oomph of a bigger engine for easy overtakes and the engine needs working quite hard in the mountains - mine used about half a litre of oil on the most recent trip too. The balance and handling of the bike is also compromised somewhat when fully loaded (though maybe we just take too much junk) which annoys me more than a lack of power.

However, on the plus side, it'll do an easy 250 miles on a tank (we've managed over 280 when taking things slower) and tyres last a couple of trips plus the riding at home in-between. There's also the feeling that with it being a cheap bike and not too precious I don't worry too much about where I park it and will happily take it places I might hesitate on something flashier.…...

Touring is more mind-set than machine. Pick some nice roads and go have some fun !  :auto-dirtbike:

Iggy
Brand loyal ?  Nope - anything will do if its got two wheels and an engine !

Offline Abercol

• Bike: 2016 Explorer XRT
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 10:27:48 »
Quote from: "Iggy"
Touring is more mind-set than machine. Pick some nice roads and go have some fun !  :auto-dirtbike: Iggy

Yup, totally agree. you can tour on just about anything.

Me and my first missus spent 7 weeks touring Europe back in the day on an unfaired Z440 with soft panniers and no top box. The bike made 40hp and had a top speed of just over 100mph solo. Hell, our German mate travelled 1500 miles with us on his 250 Superdream with his girlfriend on the back and had no poblems except it would be cruel to cruise at over 75mph. These were not new bikes, mine cost me £325 & the Superdream £300. The Z440 had around 35k on the clocks before we left. A 650cc bike with nearly twice the power shouldn't have any hassles.

We did just over 7000 miles and went to almost every country east of France and as far South as Yugoslavia. the bike sat at 85mph on the motorways and broke down twice due to very poor roads in Hungary (not so much broke down as shaken to pieces - all sorted by the fantastic Hungrian AA). It was a complete hoot and we never gave a thought about it not coping or not managing.

Offline Andy M

• Bike: Hurley-Pugh Empire Wildebeeste Manx Thruxton
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 12:22:55 »
Well said Sir  :clap:

We've been as far as the Russian border two up with camping gear on a 790 Bonneville. I expect at least the same if not better from the Wee that has 10 HP more. We did a 1000 mile long weekend round the Ardennes on an Enfield Bullet.

When people tell me they need a Goldwing to "Tour", I just assume they are too fat or daft  :neen:

Andy

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 12:38:11 »
Hello, I'm too fat! and I'm daft! And I am quite happy to tour on a Wee!

Offline DesertStrom

• Bike: DL650 K9, Triumph Street Scrambler
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 12:41:51 »
Quote from: "Andy M"
When people tell me they need a Goldwing to "Tour", I just assume they are too fat or daft  :neen:

lol

Offline ricky

Touring two up
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 12:52:20 »
I just did a trip to south of France two up for a week

Every one in our group said that I was silly mad etc for even thinking of a 650.

While they sat there on the gold wings and got lost due to there poor sat navs, I ended up leading the group and had no probs sitting at 85 / 90 mph

Offline bencav

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 13:44:02 »
I have maintained 90mph for 3-4 hours whilst 2 up, fully loaded!

Those who have met me know I'm no lightweight, and my OH isn't mush smaller. In the end, my Donkey gave up way before the bike would!

Wee vs Vee, yeah a bit more power, but if your touring, surely speed isn't the main thing, enjoying the ride is! The Vee is no better than the Wee if you are cruising some nice rosds at 50 surely  :shrug:

Offline Georgeharrier

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 16:55:51 »
Quote from: "DesertStrom"
Quote from: "Andy M"

lol

I'm fat and daft and tour on my Wee all the time. Me, her, 2 full pannier and top box with a 5 man tent on top.
Had no problems. Off to France and Belguim again on Friday after having such a great time there in June.

George
George T

Its pointless owning a parrot unless you teach it to say "HELP THEY TURNED ME INTO A PARROT"

Life is a game to be played not a battle to be fought.

Offline skipper

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 20:57:49 »
the small engine will be affected by weight and gradient much much more than 1000cc+ bikes, the more you carry the less nippy you become, other than that touring on a wee is fine and more economical than the bigger bikes.