Author Topic: Insurance and a modified wee  (Read 724 times)

Offline Orinoco

Insurance and a modified wee
« on: June 13, 2012, 20:01:23 »
Has anyone found an insurer who offers sensible prices for modified bikes?

I'm getting some big numbers quoted, despite being 50, 28 years riding experience, IAM pass, rural area etc.

It seems that every little modification needs to be listed to be sure of a payout if a claim is made - I've never made a claim!

Just have a Devil exhaust, K&N air filter, Scotoiler, panniers/top box and a Vee seat

TIA
Somewhere in Somerset

Offline Strommer

Re: Insurance and a modified wee
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 20:56:55 »
Bikesure have worked for me.  Best to go through a comparison website then finish the deal on the phone and record the call.

A disgrace to biking...

Offline willbo

• crazy is contagious
  • Bike: 2010 dl650x
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 21:45:41 »
I'm with swintons and declared every single mod I've done to my wee, which include:

Fork brace
Scott oiler
Heated grips
Crash bars
Sump guard
Radiator guard
Side lights
Madstad bracket
Givi screen
12v socket
Gel seat
Pannier rack
Top box
Centre stand

And Probably a couple more I can't recall at the moment.

Anyway, after all this was declared, the bloke checked up and said because they don't change the engine or power they are classed as accessories, not modifications. I get these covered under my insurance for a sum of £1000. I suspect that maybe because your mods maybe change power in some small way (exhaust can add horse power in some cares, filters add air for power) That is the reason the price.

Look these little kids with their newfangle hot rod things they seem to have nowerdays. All loud and brightly coloured with their scraping body just about off the floor. Really disturb my tea and biscuits as the zoom past. Well, they can afford to drive them because they don't alter the tiny 1 Litre engine, so the insurance stays low.
I'm sane, honestly. . . I got a certificate to prove it!

Offline Beerbelly

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 07:38:36 »
Carole Nash seems to take a similar approach to the above post, deeming these not to constitute modifications.

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 08:32:10 »
A worrying development here is that if you stopped by the old bill and they check the bike over and then ask if you've declared these fitted extras to your insurers. If you say you haven't, they can then say that your bike is effectively uninsured due to your non disclosure of changes to the bike and you can therefore be prosecuted.  A dealer friend by in the UK told me about this happening to one of his customers. This all seems to be tied up with this new legislation about non OEM stuff fitted to bikes. As usual it will the soft targets that pay and the real criminals just carry on as usual.

Offline gbrchill

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 12:06:17 »
Having recently renewed with Carole Nash I was keen to make sure that I mentioned all of the modifications that have been made (and that aren't listed on the documentation that they sent me).  The lady I spoke to said that they were only concerned with performance enhancing modifications, how refreshing.

So, I've told them about all of the modifications and they have chosen to ignore them.