Author Topic: noise when pulling away in 1st & 2nd gear  (Read 1810 times)

Offline Big Al wi the Vee

noise when pulling away in 1st & 2nd gear
« on: June 09, 2012, 22:36:08 »
Hi,

My Vee has started making a bad knocking noise when I pull away and travel in 1st & 2nd gear ( Low Speed). Initially I thought my chain was in need of adjustment! But I've done that and just been for another run out :shrug:   The noise is still there! :GRR: ##

I've read somewhere here that the front sprocket bearing could be an issue and if not rectified it could be really bad :fix:

Can anyone help  PLease?

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
Re: noise when pulling in 1st & 2nd gear
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 11:38:16 »
How you getting on with this big al? Any more symptoms? Eg, is performance affected or is it just a sound? Any backfires, misfires? I haven't got a Vee, but things that occur to me to check out are the airbox cover, throttle bodies, locating the sound-source more exactly ...could it be the clutch ? :shrug:
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 13:46:12 »
I suppose I'm going to have to take it to the dealer later on in the week :shrug:

Performance isn't affected, but the noise at low speed is really worrying.  I'm going to take the Sprocket cover off to see if there is any play in the drive shaft: if there is I know which bearing is tits. The only problem after that is getting my non mechanical brain in gear and sorting it out.

I hope Crescent Motorcycles in Busledon Southampton, :fix:  are kind to me

Offline mechcanico lee

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 13:52:36 »
Does it sort of go ........clunk   gap   clunk   gap   and goes faster as you ride faster     if so maybe a tight link on chain or what you already suspect ...... a loose front sprocket nut , the tab washer will stop it falling off but the nut can come loose .
hth Lee

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 15:09:16 »
If you have a centre stand on the bike, put the bike on it and carefully run it in gear, say 1st, 2nd and 3rd and you might be able to hear where the noise is coming from I.e. chain/sprockets, rear wheel or engine. You can also check that the chain isn't catching anything. There are a number of other things you could have a look at. Check for excessive forward and backward movement of the rear sprocket that could indicate excessive wear of the cush drive rubbers. Check for side to side and verical movement in the sprocket carrier itself that would indicate wear of the carrier bearing. If these are all OK, then remove the gearbox sprocket cover and check that the sprocket nut is tight as already suggested. Also check to see if there is any obvious side movement in the final drive shaft itself (bearing failure). Finally with the bike on the centre stand (if you have one) or with the back wheel off the ground, turn the wheel by hand and see if yoy can hear any unusual noises coming from the engine that could indicate problems with the gearbox. Hopefully you should be able to find by elimination where the noise is coming from and get it fixed. If the noise appears to be coming from the engine/gearbox internals I would suggest not riding the bike as further (and more expensive and potentially dangerous) damage could occur. Hope this helps.

Offline wal750

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 16:42:55 »
Don't know how many miles it's done Al but mine has done only 12k ish and there is play in the cush drive rubbers. I don't have the noise though but as mentioned the carrier bearings are prone to premature failure. The next time I drop my rear wheel out the cush drive will have some inner tube treatment, bugger replacing with new  :neen:
1986 Honda VFR 750 FG
1986 Yamaha XJ900F

V-strom now sold :-(

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 16:51:42 »
:GRR:  Just had the front sprocket cover off, can't see anything untoward there apart from a load of grit that I had to remove. Can't see any play on the shaft, but then again I have no centre stand 'cos I broke that last week ( these things come in threes) so I leaned her over to the right propped against something and loosened of the back wheel. not ideal but surely if there was a fault there it would have been easy enough to spot.

:angry-tappingfoot: I think I'll check the cush drive rubbers 'cos I have some play there : 3 - 5 mm! I wonder if that could be my problem?  :bawl:

Thanks for ideas blokes,  for now she's grounded until I find out how bad it is, that ultimately means a trip to my local dealer :angry-tappingfoot:   No birthday pressie for me then :violin:

Re: noise when pulling away in 1st & 2nd gear
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 16:31:10 »
Very Strange.... Adjusted the chain, cleaned out the front sprocket housing 'cos it was full of gunge, stayed off it for the day  :GRR:  Then rode it to the nearest dealer and couldn't hear any noise.

Oh well just have to go out for a ride :auto-dirtbike:  :rain:

Got some worn cush rubbers that I think I'll fix with tyre tube once my centre stand gets fixed and fitted.