Author Topic: K3 Screen conversion  (Read 1451 times)

Offline kevshek

K3 Screen conversion
« on: April 30, 2012, 22:35:39 »
Due to the limited choice in screens and no adjustment for the earlier k2-3 vees, I've decided to do a screen conversion to the latter K4 onward models. To achieve this, I have bought a fairing and screen frame from a salvage place, obtained a stock screen courtesy of Beerbelly and I'm on the hunt for a couple of other bits to finish it off.

Its not going to be a simple swap over as the K3 has a different shape dash top, it dips in the middle whereas the k4 has a curve due to the different shape gauges.

K3

K4

So without spending a fortune on buying some later gauges and dash surround, I'm going to have to come up with a work around to make it work. Stay tuned for updates as I go.
If you mod it, They will come!
My current bike HERE.
My Old Vee

Offline robsonthejob

• Bike: DL1000 K3 (thanks Grey wolf)
Re: K3 Screen conversion
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 11:51:55 »
Very interested in this one - lots of photos please ! :fix:

Offline kevshek

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 12:37:13 »
no bother, I have a few pics taken and am due to pick up the frame from powder coating today. Ill writeup what I can later if I get the chance. Needless to say, this isn't an easy conversion, I've had to spend a few quid, which you may argue, is it worth the extra cost? In essence, all I'm ending up with is what the K4 have already. Anyways ill let you all be the judge.
My current bike HERE.
My Old Vee

Offline kevshek

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 15:52:00 »
While searching on ebay, I found a breakers selling a frame and screen mount of a KLV1000 and manage to get it for £45 delivered. It wasn't in the best of condition, and had obviously been left out in the breakers yard for some time, but it was straight. Heres the part I bought.

Rusty Bits

Someones has obviously been messing about with the screens height, making their own holes and using non OEM bolt I presume. These bolts and well nuts were seized and stubborn to remove.

Eventually I got thing separated and torn down for a clean up.

The frame was sent off to powder coating, and after a mates rate £10 blast anbd coating, she came back as good as new!

With the plastics wash and cleaned up, aswell as a OEM screen offa Beerbelly, the major components are ready to go.

I've had to order the screen bolt covers from Suzuki along with a couple of bolts/screws to the sum of £30, so total so far, £85. I'm awaiting their arrival before I can tackle the conversion.
My current bike HERE.
My Old Vee

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 17:16:40 »
Quite interested in how this will turn out and particularly if you then think it was worth it or not.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline kevshek

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 17:36:46 »
probably not mate, as you can see, I've spent 85 quid already, that's the best part of a vario! I know that the K4 stock screen still gives you buffeting so I'm still going to have to either go madstad or vario, but at least it'll look a bit more up to date.
My current bike HERE.
My Old Vee

Offline kevshek

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 23:27:45 »
Just a quick update, I've actually done the conversion now for a couple of weeks, and have also bought a vario touring screen and the results are much better, however, just to get rid of that last bit of buffeting at higher speed, I'm going to have to go madstad I think. Ill update the thread when I get a chance.
My current bike HERE.
My Old Vee

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 09:34:44 »
Very interesting stuff, kev - hats off to you! Thought we hadn't heard owt for a while, you must be enjoying the weather like the rest of us, eh! :thumb:
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline kevshek

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 23:30:56 »
OK, so here goes the writeup. can't really say its a How To, cos there is no straight forward way of doing this. Also please bear in mind, once you start this conversion, there is no turning back, and you'll see what I mean as I go. Ill try to be as descriptive as poss.

First up, deconstruction of the front end. So heres the dash surround removed, the side coweling and front lower cover all removed as 1 piece, you can split up if you like.

The part we need is the top cowling, the V bit behind the screen as this is different on K4 onwards. The top cowling left and right comes off as one piece from the headlight. The indicators, speedo, headlight were also removed along the way.

Next the front end support frame has to be removed, to do this, you need to disconnect all the harnesses from it. Then is just 2 bolts holding it onto the neck.

Heres the front end completely gone!

Next I compared both frames and noticed several differences. Some of the metal work like the back plate which the K3 dash mounts onto isn't there. So to rectify this, I decided to cut it off the old, and attach it to the new. This can be seen in the following series of pics.

Using screws and hose clips, I managed to get it secured and refitted onto the bike at the position I thought was accurate.

Next I turned my attention to the cowl. Heres the 2 pieces compared. This piece needs to be changed in order for the new cowl to cover the new screen mounting points.

On the reverse of the cowl, you see that the centre section is held in by plastic welds.

These can simple be drilled out using s 8mm drill bit. I also drilled out the holes on the new cowl to match.

Once drilled, the 2 just separate apart.

To affix the new piece, I used a combination of PU Seam sealer and also some clever stuff called Q-Bond & plastic powder.

First I placed a few spots of sealer around the edge before I remated the new part.

Next on the underside, where I had drilled out the holes, I simple filled them with a little power and dropped in a touch of Q-Bond superglue to set the power instantly into a solid plastic weld. The combination of the 2 holds it solid.

Now moving onto one of many problems I had. Where the new cowl meets the old dash surround, we have a discrepancy. They don't line up and cause a gap like so.

As I have a GiPro gear indicator, I decided to blend these 2 surfaces using that as a centre piece. To do this I started by removing the necessary parts, cut a rectangle to allow the indicator to sit into the top and then fabricate filler pieces to block off any gap. The final pic show the are now covered in a piece of carbon vinyl just to finish it off.

Onto the next problem.....
After a dry fit of the cowl, headlight, clocks and clock surround, I discovered that the clock mount plate I had relocated was not lined up true, and that it was probably impossible to due without major measuring, cutting and welding. Also there were clearance issue with some of the new frame work. To correct this, I ended up doing 2 thing, cutting away at the new frame, parts which werent needed, and also seriously modifying the rear & top corners of the clocks. The carbon wrap you see are not for cosmetic reasons. After cutting away the top corners of the gauges when they were dismantled, I used the vinyl to block off the area, and from the inside, I used more plastic powder and superglue to create a reshaped area. In the end I didn't even attach the clock onto the frame, instead I attach the clocks to the rear of the clock surround. I simple couldn't get the frame, clocks and then clock surround to line up.

Once I had the clock situation sorted, I could then reassemble the front end. Heres a few pictures leading upto completion.

I've since fitted a MRA Vario Touring Screen with Madstad Brackets, ill take some pics eventually and put them up into my blog thread. If there's anything that I've shown you in this conversion, its that its not for the faint hearted. This is major surgery, but I reckon it paid off, the bike looks much better now. You blokes who already have K4 onwards don't know how lucky you are.
My current bike HERE.
My Old Vee

Offline greywolf

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 00:07:43 »
I remember answering the question of how big a job this would be. It will be clear now. You must have quite a feeling of accomplishment. The bigger the job, the bigger the reward.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bike: CRF1000 Africa Twin
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 01:19:31 »
Wow! Great write up and pics  :clap:
I Go Down any Road There is, To see what's Around The Bend - Joe Bonamassa

http://www.bestbikingroads.com/motorcyc ... 161e9.html

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 14:59:12 »
That looks like a lot of work, but it came out neat in the end. Good job :thumb:
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline kevshek

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 20:57:43 »
Thanks everyone, yeah I pretty happy with the way it turned out, seeing your bike in bits isn't pleasant, but I got her back together and shes looking fine. :)
My current bike HERE.
My Old Vee

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2012, 17:00:23 »
:thumb:   That Q-Bond stuff sounds good.
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline kevshek

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2012, 18:03:52 »
Its very handy stuff but not cheap at over 12 quid for the kit.
My current bike HERE.
My Old Vee

Online 2112

• Bike: Honda 750 Transalp, Victory Crossroads 1731
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 06:59:52 »
That's a lot of work you've done there, fair play for being brave enough to take it on. Good result too, very well finished  :clap:
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'