Author Topic: Secondary butterfly removal.....help.  (Read 8021 times)

Offline r100gser

Re: Secondary butterfly removal.....help.
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2012, 19:38:44 »
for what its worth I bought 2112's old bike, it it very quick, no hesitations, an stable at high speeds,and has been very reliable.

:)

Offline macvisual

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2012, 19:55:12 »
Within the next week I'm going to remove the secondary butterflies from my DL1000, and going to keep in the TRE module I've recently bought a few weeks ago and compare etc...

I have noticed a much smoother/better difference with the TRE module in place, lovely in lower gears as its not as clunky in low rev's, superb purchase for £26 delivered.

I may have an opportunity soon to pick up/buy a set of used carbon fibre Akrapovic ovals with titanium end caps for my DL1000, ohhhhhh sexy, watch this space!!!
K8 DL1000GT - K&N filter - Hel brake line - lowered front forks - Osram brighter/whiter bulbs - TRE module - 43 tooth Renthal rear sprocket

Offline kevshek

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2012, 20:23:32 »
Might do mine on Monday......
If you mod it, They will come!
My current bike HERE.
My Old Vee

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2012, 20:57:15 »
Quote from: "kevshek"
From what I understand, tre derestricts 1-4 (aswell as 5 & 6) timing wise.
Secondarys derestrict 5-6 air flow wise.
Do them both, your derestricted in all gears. Happy motoring!
This sounds accurate enough :)
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2012, 21:38:43 »
removed the secondary throttle butterflies from my K6 wee.

if you give her full throttle from the lights the ECU makes the secondaries open slower than you open the primary, thus reducing the quantity of instant power you get nailing the throttle.

also going from 60-90 is allot quicker. and grabbing a hand full does make her growl a bit more.

removed my secondaries a few weeks ago as the bike was displaying a C-28 (Secondary Throttle Valve Actuator). and did close the secondaries when I needed more power to maintain motorway speed when going up hill.

giving the mechanism and clean/lube and a wiggle seems to have sorted the problem, but I won't be putting the secondaries back...
1. is a pain in the arse to get back in there
2. the screws are brass and aren't magnetic, so won't get back into the holes easily
3. I'm not striping the heads off if I drop a screw
4. I like the snappy throttle response, still easily controllable and a little smoother on gentle throttle movements.
5. if I had a new bike first thing I'd do would be to remove the bloody things.
6. fuel consumption hasn't changed much- 600 miles around Wales, making progress speeds, and she averaged 55mpg, which is slightly more than my average before. with full luggage will report when I've done more miles without the luggage.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2012, 00:12:37 »
If you do ever decide to put them back in, some grease on the screwdriver tip to hold the brass screws will do the trick.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)

Offline 2112

• Bike: Honda 750 Transalp, Victory Crossroads 1731
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2012, 09:39:27 »
Quote from: "r100gser"
for what its worth I bought 2112's old bike, it it very quick, no hesitations, an stable at high speeds,and has been very reliable.

Glad to see the old girls performing well  :thumb:
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline kevshek

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2012, 15:26:36 »
I won't bore you with the tank/airbox lid removal. Heres the tops of the TBs.

Have your screw driver and long nose pliers close by.

Static, they sit slightly open.

Just use your finger and you can push them down to close position which is best when you're removing the screws.

Just use a good fitting philips screw driver and crack off both screws, while holding the valve closed, I ran out of hand as you can guess.

I then use some needle nose pliers to pick out the 2 screws, if you have the valves closed, the screws can't go anywhere, just have all your tools handy.

Next just rotate the valve and fish out with the pliers. Its not loose enough to slide down into the TB so don't worry.

Repeat for the other side and your done.

RESULTS: the bike feels a bit more responsive/pokey in 5th and 6th gear, but I don't ride like a tw*t so I havent hoofed it about when testing. It could take some time for the ECU to remap the fuel accordingly, I don't know, I'm guessing the bike runs on a closed loop system cos I spotted a lambda in the exhaust, so it could just take a bit of running in so to speak. Ultimately, its a free mod which doesn't do any harm at all and takes about 30 mins.
If you mod it, They will come!
My current bike HERE.
My Old Vee

Offline Countrysailor

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2012, 15:58:09 »
Quote from: "mr_diver"

2. the screws are brass and aren't magnetic, so won't get back into the holes easily
3. I'm not striping the heads off if I drop a screw.
Bit of Blue Tac or chewing gum on your crosshead driver jam the screw on and away you go.
Keep it between the ditches...

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2012, 17:11:09 »
If you do put them back it might be wise use Loctite on the screws to make sure they stay in! Screws flying around inside the cylinders is not recommended...

Offline seath3971

« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2012, 19:01:24 »
Just done this very easy to do and on mine a 2007 vee the little screws aren't brass so they are magnetic. 1 st gear is very lively the front comes up very quickly under full throtle and second gear it will also come up just under engine power. Acelaration seems quicker also it seems to get over three figures much quicker than before. So all in all a great free mod.

Just ordered a tre module and the rear sprocket spacer to enhance the gear chance. Also sending my clutch basket off at the weekend to get modified to hopefully make the vee on smooth quick machine.

Offline Abercol

• Bike: 2016 Explorer XRT
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2012, 11:17:01 »
I did my Vee acouple of years ago, you're right, better response in 1-2nd & more go in 5th/6th. Added around 5-8mph on the top end and the acelleration doesn't tail off as much once you are over the ton. An easy mod.

seath3971 - how much was/is your clutch basket mod? I might need to send mine away soon...

Cheers

Offline seath3971

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2012, 11:20:04 »
It's £240 from a member from this forum. If you do a search under clutch basket mod it should come up.

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2012, 11:31:46 »
The member's name is "sharealike".

Offline seath3971

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2012, 11:51:27 »
Yes that's the one

Offline thebigcheese

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2012, 21:49:14 »
let me know how the bike gfeels after getting the clutch basket mod done, be interested to find out if it is def worthwhile
bikeless

Offline macvisual

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2012, 17:16:03 »
Hi all,

Not long back from a good 50 mile run out on my DL1000 V-Strom today with the secondary butterflies removed, hmmmmmm not liking it really, it's more 'EDGY' is how I would describe it, hard to put into words but it feels slightly more harder in some way, nope not for me....

going to put the secondary butterflies back in, I liked it better that way! And I didn't notice any benefits with better power delivery, didn't work for me.

At least I tried it.
K8 DL1000GT - K&N filter - Hel brake line - lowered front forks - Osram brighter/whiter bulbs - TRE module - 43 tooth Renthal rear sprocket

Offline big john

« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2012, 09:32:04 »
I HAVE BEEN KEEPING AN EYE ON MY VEE SINCE REMOVING BUTTERFLIES
WOW what a diffrence more responsive more grunt and better MPG gone from 34 up to 45+you can check it out no messing about it all on fuelly the increase is there and when out on run wasn't takeing it easy either the first bar use to go off at around 50 to 60 now its 75 80 before it goes off I would recommend removing the scondaries with out a second thought. :lala:  :thumb:

Jut click on the Fuelly tag below.
all the best from Big John