Author Topic: iPhone audio and GPS  (Read 1906 times)

Offline ringo grumio nibbler

iPhone audio and GPS
« on: March 23, 2012, 11:30:38 »
Has anybody put their iPhone (mine is a iPhone4) to use on their bike? I'm thinking about a velcro speaker kit for the helmet and then maybe some kind of bluetooth dongle to listen to the ipod as well. What about decent clamp and cover for the handlebars?

Offline VstromJay

iPhone audio and GPS
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 13:21:41 »
I have a velcro speaker in the helmet which I got from Demon Tweaks the cable of which can be split just as it leave my lid with the remaining cable running down inside my neck tube to my iPhone which either sits in a jacket pocket for short journeys under 3 hours or via an extension cable in the tank bag with a feed in from my aux socket ( Which is on the handle bars)

Offline bencav

Re: iPhone audio and GPS
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 21:16:24 »
Lash out on an Autocom or Starcom! No need to charge batteries, and no fugly control module clagged to the side of the lid!

Offline TravellingStrom

iPhone audio and GPS
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 22:46:59 »
Quote from: "bencav"
Lash out on an Autocom or Starcom! No need to charge batteries, and no fugly control module clagged to the side of the lid!

No, just a crappy cable attached which may or may not get wrapped around the rear sprocket if you forget to connect it after one of many stops.

I lost two that way at $250 each for autocom, so now I have Bluetooth with a battery that lasts 14 hours.
Keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out

Cheers
TravellingStrom
http://www.travellingstrom.com
http://www.richardstravelshops.com

Offline seath3971

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 10:52:11 »
I run an autocom kit with the iphone in a waterproof mount with power. The cables are around £20 from autocom. I have played around with cheaper kits in the past but you do get what you pay for.

Offline bencav

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 12:45:29 »
Quote from: "TravellingStrom"
Quote from: "bencav"

No, just a crappy cable attached which may or may not get wrapped around the rear sprocket if you forget to connect it after one of many stops.

I lost two that way at $250 each for autocom, so now I have Bluetooth with a battery that lasts 14 hours.

I personally find the curly cables quite pretty, not crappy at all  :thumb:

Also, it would be down purely to bad instalation if the cables/leads could in any way become entangled in the sprockets or any other moving parts for that matter!

Did your kit not come supplled with a bulkhead mnount plate that allows the connectors on the bike to be static and not a free cable?

can't say I have tried bluetooth on a bike before, but I got a propper car phone kit fitted to avoid those miserable earpieces I used to use!

Offline cabra

• Bike: 1995 Triumph Trident - 1976 Triumph Trident - 2011 Ducati Multistrada 1200s
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 14:08:50 »
I prefer to listen to the engine most of the time but I have just fitted a mounting bracket for my satnav which could also be used for my iPhone. - Stainless steel cut off, roughly 6" x 4", does not have to be very thick (stainless is a real PITA to work with)a bit of careful measuring, twice to make sure!and an angle grinder. Mounted to the handlebar clamp, you will need longer bolts, the thread length being equal to the entire length (head included) of the Allen bolts they are replacing. I used stainless domed Allen bolts. The satnav is mounted using the normal suction fitting as supplied and much to my surprise, having ridden about 100 miles, hasn't fallen off yet, although I do have it loosely secured with a strap just in case! As far as listening to it, I bluetooth it through to my iPhone and then normal earpieces, which, I am told can also be bluetooth. I have attached photobucket links (I hope! :eusa-think: ) I am off in the morning to Connemara & Galway for a long weekend  :lala: which should be a good test. Those of you that have been to the West coast of Ireland will know exactly what I mean :happy-bouncymulticolor:  

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 14:18:09 »
That looks pretty smart :thumb:
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Countrysailor

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 14:42:27 »
Looks a well made piece of kit and well mounted but seems to block the view of the dials etc. I watch my dials like a hawk now since getting a ticket 3 weeks ago. The good news is I've been accepted for  the " Driver Awareness " course and it's only round the corner. 3 1/2 hours to save points. I totally believed it was a 40mph limit, wide road, huge grass verges, 3 lanes, two for uphill for overtaking slow trucks etc. Going uphill I could see the white traffic cop van and checking my speedo I was below 40. Got done for 37mph. I'd say they make a fair bit of money on that stretch. Ah well, lesson learnt, if unsure then the speed is 30.
Keep it between the ditches...

Offline kwarr

• Bike: 2012 Glee
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 14:46:31 »
I have an UltimateAddons waterproof case and a bluetooth helmet. radio on on nearly every trip.

No cables at all!! (oh apart from the charging cable, iPhone super power hungry!!!

Offline cabra

• Bike: 1995 Triumph Trident - 1976 Triumph Trident - 2011 Ducati Multistrada 1200s
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 16:46:16 »
Quote from: "Countrysailor"
seems to block the view of the dials etc..

Nope, 2nd & 3rd photos are my view when riding. Only downside (so far :shrug: ) is the plastic bag I have to cover it with when in the rain. Work in progress :angry-tappingfoot:

Offline ringo grumio nibbler

iPhone audio and GPS
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 20:40:42 »
Quote from: "Countrysailor"
Looks a well made piece of kit and well mounted but seems to block the view of the dials etc. I watch my dials like a hawk now since getting a ticket 3 weeks ago. The good news is I've been accepted for  the " Driver Awareness " course and it's only round the corner. 3 1/2 hours to save points. I totally believed it was a 40mph limit, wide road, huge grass verges, 3 lanes, two for uphill for overtaking slow trucks etc. Going uphill I could see the white traffic cop van and checking my speedo I was below 40. Got done for 37mph. I'd say they make a fair bit of money on that stretch. Ah well, lesson learnt, if unsure then the speed is 30.
I had to attend one of those courses after getting caught while braking hard but still doing 42mph on entering the far outskirts of a village which far some bazaar reason was 30mph a full 300 yards before the first house.

I coughed up my £95 to attend the course plus £20 in fuel for travel.

I really needed to be educated on the dangers of speeding after getting my second speeding ticket in 32 years of accident free driving, no really I did.

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 21:23:19 »
Better than the points, the insurance companies will make you pay if you have points as best as they can.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline cabra

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 13:01:34 »
Update on the Satnav mounting, in a word - purrfect. Just short of 600 miles over the weekend, empty roads, good weather, the best pints of Guinness in a long while and the satnav didn't try to abandon ship, not even once. This was my first time using a satnav in anger and I am most impressed! Apart from the obvious ie finding an address, it was brilliant at keeping me forewarned about upcoming bends & overtaking places, making for very rapid progress. Regarding the speeding thing, it warns you when you are over the speed limit, so paying attention to what or who is around you is a good idea! 40 years (Gawd!) riding and I have never had a ticket!!! Interesting on the speedo accuracy, my Vee is 2mph at 30 & 10mph at 100. Am I right in thinking that a tooth up on the rear would actually make the Suzuki speedo more accurate?  :shrug:
Quote from: "SimonW"
And I would call yours "obsolete"  :neen:  :lala:
Yep, might well be but oh - the grunt! jealous? you should be! :neen:
Couple of photos below (I hope!) The top two are on Achill Island Co Mayo & the 3rd is the Salmon run in Ballina Co Mayo. I love "Groupon" weekends

Offline dsb79

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 13:37:13 »
Just finished my set up today ready for Easter weekend.

Fancy a brew at Loomies PM me.