Author Topic: It's all about knowing what to ask for ... Part 2  (Read 1090 times)

Offline Descolada

It's all about knowing what to ask for ... Part 2
« on: March 04, 2014, 09:01:54 »
I am working on the details of my DIY chain oiler but am struggling to figure out how to automatically turn the thing on and off. It has to have some method for turning off when not in use or gravity will result in a huge slick of oil under your bike.

The Scotoiler system uses a vacuum valve to turn the system on and off - that's why you need to splice a hose into your system - to trigger the valve. That way oil is only free to flow when the engine is running.

Does anyone know of the existence of small vacuum operated valves in any discipline (for example, aquariums etc)?

I would rather have some way to automate this function because it is a very real possibility that you could just forget to turn it off when you walk away from the bike. I could also just fit a valve, but that's exposed to the same risk - you just forget to turn the damned thing on and then all your work is for naught.

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
Re: It's all about knowing what to ask for ... Part 2
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 09:06:08 »
You are going to quickly end up with a Scot oiler at this rate!
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline mjc506

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 09:19:21 »
Are you going for the primer bulb oiler? If so, you shouldn't need anything - it'll only flow when you press the bulb.
Projects:
DL650 engine rebuild: Complete!
Brighter rear indicators]Complete![/url]
Heated mirrors]Complete![/url]
Cruise control/Speed limiter/V-puter]Pending...[/color]

Offline Descolada

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 09:42:32 »
Well for now I am reviewing my options and seeing what's available. It's true that with the primer bulb you can just push the oil through and you could counter any capillary action by incorporating an inverted "U" bend in the pipe (don't know if there is such a thing as an "N" bend). But I am trying to account for what happens if that fails and releases the oil currently sitting in the feed pipe. I am going to incorporate at least one adjustable valve so you can limit the flow rate, and it's true that you could just shut that off at the end of each trip. But if air is suddenly introduced at some point along the pipe then it will dump it's remaining content onto your chain and then onto the road - possibly even your tyre.  

I am really just working through the concept right now. I originally planned to go with the oil primer bulb and that is still the intention, but I am just looking at what's available and what's "doable".

While I realise that in mentioning ScottOiler I am opening myself up to the "why not just buy a Scottoiler" brigade and I have to be very careful not to infringe a patent somewhere along the line, but to balance this out I have also looked at how PDoiler works, Tutoro Oiler and many of the already existent online examples of DIY chain oilers.

Nothing's off the table right now as I investigate the concept. My primary concerns are flow control, fault tolerance and limitation of mess.

Offline mjc506

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 09:50:25 »
Use small bore tubing between the primer and outlet, and there'll be very little oil to lose (and due to its viscosity, it'll come out very slowly unless being pushed by the primer bulb) The only way it'll come out is as you say - if there is a leak high up the tube, letting air in and breaking the 'syphon' effect. Incidentally, scotoilers et al suffer the same vulnerability... they rely on a sealed tube from their reservoir/pump to the discharge.

As the tube should be full and devoid of air, 'u' bends will be useless, by the way :)
Projects:
DL650 engine rebuild: Complete!
Brighter rear indicators]Complete![/url]
Heated mirrors]Complete![/url]
Cruise control/Speed limiter/V-puter]Pending...[/color]

Offline Descolada

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 10:01:15 »
OK, that's good to know. I have seen some scary delivery methods along the way (dangling paracord on the chain et al). For now I am investigating that part by getting some cheap plastic medical pipettes with narrow delivery spouts.

Question. Why do most of these solutions focus their delivery on the rear sprocket rather then the front sprocket? (speed of rotation, easy of access, better coverage ... )?

Offline pauljobr

• Bike: DL650 X L0
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 10:34:48 »
The PD Oiler system uses electrickery to operate the pump and push oil to the chain, could you use an electric solenoid valve to open when the bike starts. If it is a normally closed valve then it will shut off when the bike is not running and open when the ignition is on.
Might be easier to find than a vacuum operated valve.

Offline iansoady

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 10:36:25 »
Why vacuum? I'd use electrickery....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1X-DC-12V-Ele ... 0764456580
Ian.
2005 DL650
1931 Sunbeam Model 10

Offline Descolada

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 11:02:26 »
It doesn't have to be vacuum operated, that was just a starting point for comparison with the Scottoiler system. Thanks for the link, I will take a look.

Offline Mick 85

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 12:17:21 »
Have a look at this way of turning the oil on and off. I don't use it, but the idea may inspire you !!

http://motobriiz.com/
Suzuki Vstrom 650
Kawasaki KLR650

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 12:37:30 »
I'm guessing that the primer bulb is free flowing when not under pressure. To prevent the reservoir emptying itself you either require some means of controlling the vacuum in the space above the oil in the reservoir, or to fit a one way flow check valve that can be overcome by the pressure created when the bulb is pressed, but when the pressure is released it seals again. Now I'm not saying this is the exact part to use but Google a Norgren t51p0004 but it is just such a valve. This would Have the benefit of keeping it an all manual system that doesn't need electrics or engine vacuum to operate.
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 18:09:49 »
Buy a stainless steel turkey baster with a needle attachment. Stick a length of thin pipe that snugly fits over the needle on it. Delivery outlet at the other end of the pipe positioned where you want it. Oil in the turkey baster, mount it where you like, squeeze bulb to deliver. Should be very easy to prime too  :grin:
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Twiggy

• Bike: KLV1000
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 18:13:50 »
Medical syringe, cheap, easy to use and leak free and you should get a tube to fit with ease?
Neil

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 20:46:57 »
Quote from: "iansoady"
Why vacuum? I'd use electrickery....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1X-DC-12V-Ele ... 0764456580

That's a bit big I think.