Author Topic: Trailwings  (Read 1541 times)

Offline frez

Trailwings
« on: July 06, 2011, 11:42:18 »
I wondered what all the 'Deathwing' fuss was about regarding the Trailwings. Whilst I haven't been throwing the bike around much as I'm still running it in the level of grip seemed absolutely fine for what I was doing even when cranked over reasonably far on roundabouts.

That was until last night in the rain. The front got very twitchy in the wet, especially over any uneven surface such as overbanding, centre lines or cats eyes, and I had no confidence in them in the corners. I will definitely get shot of them before winter.
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
Re: Trailwings
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 12:49:28 »
I found the same of the 'deathwings' that came with suzi.
fitted Pilot Roads and found them much better, great for sports riding and she turned very fast, but with the profile on the front she got a little twitchy at higher speed corners and the steering was very light at low speed. but rode through rivers of water and torrential rain and the never slipped...

but have recently put on Anakee 2's and I can throw her round in the wet as much as I could on the Pilot Road's in the dry. great hoops but a little more vibey and noisy but its a small issue I'm happy with.

yet to use them on the loose stuff.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Satsuma Mick

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 13:11:23 »
I ride quite a lot in rain, we have to up here you know. :rain:  :rain:  Although my Trailwings are a little skittish on overbanding, I wouldn't go so far as to call them "deathwings". I'm on my second front and third rear and have had no real problem. There are no chicken strips on them either, so it's not that I've been paddling around corners.

I've probably become used to them as they are the only tyres I've had on my Wee. I think I'll have to try something else next if these are the worst. :)))

Offline frez

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 13:53:16 »
Well from what I know of a long history of riding other bikes with various tyres I can assure you that the wet weather performance of the trailwings on a wee suck. If you are kind of happy with them you will be ecstatic with a different tyre.

Offline frez

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 20:02:48 »
They are definitely going to have to go. Had to grab a handful of brake on the way home tonight when a car pulled out on me in the dry, and the ABS cut in as the front lost traction. I didn't brake THAT hard...

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 20:29:16 »
Put on some Anakee 2s :thumb:
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog