Author Topic: getting a bit confused...  (Read 1473 times)

Offline stangbanger

getting a bit confused...
« on: July 16, 2011, 09:54:59 »
Right blokes I've been reading all the tyre threads etc especially about the trailwings and how aweful they are, on my bike the rear trailwing is pretty much a dead duck now and so far it has only done a little over 3500 miles. On here I have been reading of people getting wayyyy more life than that from a rear but also saying they are skittish in the wet etc, my experience is totally different, I found the tyre to be grippy and have never had an issue with it at all, this has lead me to think that bridgestone have changed the tyre in some way.
Just ordered a tourance from a mobile fitter who is due out this afternoon to stick on a tourance for me and we shall see how that goes for me.
my bikes a 2010 model and if anyone knows of a change in the compound of the trailwing let me know cos I'm curious as hell! also is 3000 miles normal for one on the rear?

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
Re: getting a bit confused...
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 13:00:14 »
3000 miles is terrible for a dual sport type rear tyre. The worst I got out of a rear was ~7100 from a Maxxis Presa Detour.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 13:33:28 »
Was the trailwing just squared off or was the tread getting down to the legal limit?

Offline stangbanger

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 14:19:43 »
it was down to just about 1mm in the centre and wasn't toooo badly squared off, by that I mean a bit flattened but certainly nothing crazy bad. I have always kept the pressure as the sticker on my chain guard states and would say I ride the bike hard, I am after all fairly new to the roads with a bike.

The tyre bloke got here and when he was removing the axle nut it destroyed itself, almost as if it was cross threaded and you just horsed it on anyway. went to Suzuki and they are saying it was done putting the axle back onto the bike and not removing it, even though I was there and watched it all happen. bikes off the road till a new axle arrives at the weekend.
rather pissed off now as you would expect.

Offline longman

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 15:13:50 »
I recently replaced both tyres ( had original trailwings and my new ones are Anakees2) when I replaced the rear it was down to the legal limit with 10k miles on it. I think 3k is way to soon for the tyre to be replaced.

sorry about the axle nut, I know how annoying it is to start the job and not be able to finish and ride the bike because of the part damaged or missing.
Longman

For some heaven is only 10 feet up.
Suzuki DL650 K5
Suzuki DR-Z400SM K7

Offline stangbanger

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 19:57:03 »
the most annoying bit for me was that they were trying to say it was done by either myself or the tyre fitter, I have never had the axle apart and I was standing right beside the fitter while he was taking the axle apart and he did nothing that would have caused this.
hopefully the tourance works out OK and I get more miles from it than the trailwing, although for grip etc the trailwing was fine. Bridgestone must have changed the compound used for those tyres to a much much softer one???