Author Topic: Continental Road Attack -V- Michelin Anakee 2  (Read 3442 times)

Offline croptopmartin

• Bike: DL650 K8
Continental Road Attack -V- Michelin Anakee 2
« on: June 19, 2011, 11:25:00 »
Hi blokes

I'm on the V-strom 650DL K7 (just 3 years old)
I'm in need of new Tyres and someone in our club http://www.es-am.org.uk on a V-strom said he has fitted Road Attack and loves them.

Here on the Vstrom website, the main opinion seems to be in favour of Michelin Anakee 2's, yet the Continental Road Attack seems to hardly be mentioned - are they new?  Any opinions on them?

I ride alot of B-roads as well as trunk and motorways (but not often motorways).
I like to be able to ride all weathers.

I'm coming to the end of OE tyres and got about 8,000 miles from them, about 1.5mm left.
I want to get something that is abit better in the wet, and good through twisted lanes, but that doesn't wear out in no-time since my income is not great but will pay for good tyres.

So I am not sure which should I go for?

Any useful comments for or against either tyre would be appreciated; please say which tyre you are favouring, why, good on our wet Sussex roads, or long runs (not touring).

Many Thanks :ty:

Martin C.
croptopmartin

Offline jonH

• Bike: R1200GS LC
Re: Continental Road Attack -V- Michelin Anakee 2
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 12:41:43 »
Road attacks have been mentioned in the past, and generally favourably from what I can remember.

In general it does make sense to have a road-specific tyre - they should grip better in general condition, will wear better and give better fuel economy (less drag from the tread)

I did have the Road Attack on my initial shortlist, can't remember the specific reasons for discounting them in the end but I come across a fair amount of crap on the road  on my commute (seen hardcore dumped on a roundabout *twice* recently) and I might have figured that the Anakees might deal with the loose bits better than a road-specific tyre, plus I think the dual purpose tyre suits the look of the bike better, irrespective of whether I use it for dual purpose or not (it's my wallet at the end of the day, whatever my wife might tell you!)
There is nothing in life that cannot be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 12:32:56 »
I can only speak for the Anakee 2 tyres, in my experience your requirements for a tyre will be met by the Anakee 2. They are good in the wet, very good in the dry, they handle well in the twisties, last very well and they are fairly priced.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bike: CRF1000 Africa Twin
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 20:54:02 »
I had Anakees fitted about 300 miles ago after buying the bike with "well worn" Trailwings on it. Taking into account that any new tyre would've been better than the almost 'slicks' I had, so far I'm very impressed.

The Anakees have coped well on narrow country roads, green lanes and gravel alike which is where I do the majority of my riding. For the price I'm very happy with them...
I Go Down any Road There is, To see what's Around The Bend - Joe Bonamassa

http://www.bestbikingroads.com/motorcyc ... 161e9.html

Offline cearnshaw

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 22:13:01 »
I fitted anakees, it's like a different bike and my ride is now much more confident. Never tried Contis but I see no reason to stray from Anakees in future
Honda xr125, Bandit 650, v-strom 650 ABS 2001 W650 Versys 1000

Offline longman

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 22:45:43 »
Justed fitted anakees on tuesday and it feels like I have a new bike!!! these are my first new tyres as I am new to biking but I can really tell the difference. So much more confident in the corners and under heavy braking. great tyres.
Longman

For some heaven is only 10 feet up.
Suzuki DL650 K5
Suzuki DR-Z400SM K7

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 20:11:09 »
posted this in another tread about Tyres:

just out Anakee 2's on the Strom this morning.
after 50 miles I'm geting the urge to give it the beans!  
feels very stable but I do find the front tread bites a little at lower speed sharp ish turns.- compared to the, all-most, slick Road Pilots I had on.
don't get me wrong, I loved the pilots, but fancied more trail types in-keeping with the Strom's style.

Anakees I find a little noisier than the road pilots, but again it's most likely the tread pattern again.

looking forward to the next sunny day off and will have a play in brecon and will report back.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Qjay

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 16:23:48 »
I used to use Bridegstone BT 020's / 021's and then 022's, I'm on the contis now and they are really really good, but I'm going to try the anakees see what they're like... I moved away from the bridgestones cos the mileage I was getting out of them was pants!!!

Offline Sparx

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 23:32:50 »
Hi Martin, just along the coast from you, my 58 plate with 9000 on clock needs new rubber too.
Problem is I love the trailwings everyone slags off!
On balance I will go for the Anakees for the Marsh cart-tracks that pass for roads.
Was gunning it home from a rally in Hampshire Sat. night M25/26/20 at indicated 'cough' 115 'cough' fully loaded with 'wigwam', campbed, chair etc on pillion set, loaded panniers & box, ran into rain, no change to handling at all!
Someone on here said wee 'not built for speed', original tyres no good etc, personally I can't fault much, & those things I can I've changed.
Looking for best tyre deal now.... :thumb:
Rode fast - Too old to 'die young'!

Offline 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200, Victory Crossroads 1731
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 06:40:40 »
I suspect I may be an Anakee convert by the end of the summer...
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline croptopmartin

• Bike: DL650 K8
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 11:44:27 »
Upon advice from blokes in my I.A.M. Club, who ride with Road Attack from Conti, I opted for them.

Immediately noticed better road holding even before scrubbing them in.
Went down some b and White roads (on maps) yesterday, less steady where loose surface, but still okay.

I suppose it depends whether you do more roads or more tracks.
I cannot afford to change now, but will give a considered opinion later in life of Tyres.
Anakee2's could be my choice to try next time, but depends how these Conti R.A's work out  

Anonymous

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 12:00:26 »
I had Conti Road attacks on my VFR years back. Hated them as they were very rounded, lacked feel  and while mostly grippy, seemed to let go very suddenly rather than smoothly when pushed. However I didn't much get on with the VFR's handling characteristics anyway, so I'm possibly being unfair.