Author Topic: Reinstalling Rear Wheel  (Read 1162 times)

Offline Buckie Trooper

Reinstalling Rear Wheel
« on: April 12, 2011, 21:36:28 »
Is it OK to put axle back in from the right handside(brake Caliper Side) instead of the normal sprocket side when putting rear wheel back on?  Does this make any difference?

Sorry if it's a dumb question, just seems to be easier that way and keep thinking there must be a reason why it's not installed that way to begin with.

:shrug:

Offline 2112

• Bike: Honda 750 Transalp, Victory Crossroads 1731
Re: Reinstalling Rear Wheel
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 07:22:01 »
If I remember correctly the spindle nut should be on the side that would mean it would 'tighten' if the axle was to spin not 'slacken'.
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline DesertStrom

• Bike: DL650 K9, Triumph Street Scrambler
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 12:29:31 »
1 of the mods on the GSXR1000K6 was to turn the spindle round (ie locknut on the right hand side.....looking from rear end)
As you are tightening the nut, the force is pushing against the adjuster & not away from it ( if it were on the left) & possibly pulling the wheel out of alignment......well that's the theory & I never had any problems with it.

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 12:56:48 »
Mine always had the nut on the right and that doesn't make sense. You ride forwards, the axle will turn in the direction that the wheel is turning (not that it should!) and if it did the nut would loosen and eventually fall out because mine doesn't even have a retaining pin or something like that. I swapped it over so the nut is on the left, it's also a lot easier getting the wheel back on if you put the axle in from the right side. I don't see any good reason why you can't swap it, my neighbour's TDM has it with the nut on the left too.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline 2112

• Bike: Honda 750 Transalp, Victory Crossroads 1731
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 18:16:58 »
Just to add to the debate, I had a Varadero, as did one of my copycat mates, a few years ago and mine had the spindle nut on the left (Chain side) and my mate had the nut on the right (disc side). We both covered big miles and had two big trips in Europe without the slightest bit of bother.  :shrug:
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline Buckie Trooper

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 20:11:36 »
Thanks for the feedback...wheel back on with the nut on left hand side.  I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days, but I can't see any reason for not having it there.