Author Topic: speeding ticket problem  (Read 1000 times)

Offline longman

speeding ticket problem
« on: April 13, 2011, 19:47:14 »
Hi

I got a speeding ticket  on Monday last week, standard fixed penalty of £60 (doing 40mph in 30mph zone). I was asked by the officer go to the station and produce my counter part as I only had my card licence when I was stopped. She also said that I had to do it within 7 days.
So I went on last Monday - last day of the 7 allowed - to the police station stated on my ticket and on the door there was an info that because of some issues the main desk is closed - it was 2 hours before usual closing time.

I went home and went to the police station the following day (that was the 8th since the ticket) and produced my driving licence. Lady at the desk said that the ticket will have to go to court now because I failed to produce it within 7 days.

I am not denying my fault because I could have done it straight away. It was unlucky that they have changed the closing time for that one day only. Can anyone tell me what happens now? am I going to pay an extra fine? any advice welcome,
thanks a lot
Longman

For some heaven is only 10 feet up.
Suzuki DL650 K5
Suzuki DR-Z400SM K7

Offline Axe

Re: speeding ticket problem
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 21:04:16 »
From my experience (which is probably out of date)
The person on the desk will have made a record of everything you said,
as long as you explained that you had been in the previous day but they had closed early
it will probably go through the preliminary stages of going to court, but will be dropped before it actually gets there. The statement from the desk clerk will be seen by the cps (or whoever it is that oversees these things) and you will be notified that they are taking no further action. If it does go as far as a hearing it will be thrown out, but you would still need to attend.
This is dependant on your documents being in order.

Don't take any of this as gospel though, at the end of the day you can prove they closed early and that gives you mitigation for not presenting your documents.

They could take this to the Nth degree if they choose to, but it's unlikely.

Axe

Offline longman

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 21:23:05 »
I hope you are correct becasue on the internet I found some stories about fines up to 5000!!!!
I am angry with myslef that I didn't go straight away and there would be no trouble. I also took a picture of the notice on the police station so I can prove I wasn't lying. Really should have done it striaght away.
Longman

For some heaven is only 10 feet up.
Suzuki DL650 K5
Suzuki DR-Z400SM K7

Offline Steve33

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 09:46:15 »
Don't worry too much - my experience of this is that they are fairly reasonable, it just takes time for the system to work through. Good thinking taking a photo of the door notice.

Many years ago I got a "producer" ticket (for no reason other than riding a really old, rusty - but perfectly legal - Honda CD175). I found out my insurance cover note was out of date and had to order another one, which didn't come within the 7 days.

I went to the police station to explain this - had to sign "the book" - and took my new documents in a few days later.  Several months later I get a summons, not for failure to produce, but for riding without insurance.

I took my paperwork to the main police station and they got the matter dropped. Cost to me was a few hours missed at work - still a bit annoying as I hadn't done anything in the first place.

This is a good lesson in the evils of procrastination. Hope it all works out
2002 DL1000
1991 Kawasaki Zephyr 750 with ST2 sidecar

Offline stevie-m

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 17:46:29 »
Just my opinion for what it's worth, the issuing officers name / station etc will be on your ticket. Make contact directly with them to explain the circumstances, don't leave it to the civilian staff on the desk.

You should hopefully find that they are receptive to your circumstances. They are responsible for preparing a file to the CPS for prosecution, and as I'm sure all will agree, being a day late in producing especially given that the desk was closed early is no cause for prosecution.