Author Topic: Maxxis Detour tyres- anyone used them?  (Read 2219 times)

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
Maxxis Detour tyres- anyone used them?
« on: January 28, 2011, 13:40:24 »
I see on Ebay you can buy a pair of Maxxis Detour Presa tyres for 'Stroms for £115 a pair. Has anyone used them recently? I vaguely recall them coming on the market a while ago and being withdrawn due to wearing out too quickly. If this is the case has this problem been resolved? I used their Supermax and Presa Sport  tyres on my RF900 and found them quite good, especially the fronts. They're not a fashionable tyre and don't have any street cred with space cadets (or BMW GS owners?), but I was getting through three sets of tyres a year and the cost saving in using them was quite significant and for £115 a pair they could be a bit of a bargain.

Offline dogpuf

Re: Maxxis Detour tyres- anyone used them?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 15:20:27 »
Sounds like a right bargain if they are usable
C'mon spring I want to get riding

Offline 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200, Victory Crossroads 1731
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 16:20:35 »
Quote from: "dogpuf"
Sounds like a right bargain if they are usable

+1 for Dogpuf's comments - at that price you can't go wrong. Also it's better to have a tyre too soft than the other way...
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline steve...

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 18:50:53 »
Friend of mine had Maxxis on his Blackbird - they were fine in the dry (is there a tyre that's not fine in the dry ?) but he said they were very skittish in the wet, much more so than Michelin or Bridgestone.  He wasn't impressed but I guess to some degree, "you get what you pay for" has to be true at least half the time  :shrug:

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 21:35:00 »
I had them on the Wee, rear lasted ~7100 miles (mostly motorway.) It was heavily squared off as can be expected from any tyre that does mostly motorway riding. They are fair in the wet and good in the dry, I don't recall any real moments on them, but don't be aggressive in the wet. I still have the front on, it's lasting much longer, but then you would expect the front to last about twice as long as the rear anyway. I like the Maxxis better than the Battlewings I got the bike with. I changed the rear to an Anakee II and I love it, but for a cheap tyre the Maxxis ones are a very good deal.

Edit: I checked and the mileage on the front is now at about 13000 miles. I figure if I was doing more mixed road riding rather than motorways I could have squeezed more out of the rear.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline chrisreid

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 12:55:34 »
I used them and the rear lasted 4500miles the front 18,000miles. The rear was gone at 4500 and at 5000 was showing canvas.
Good tyres for grip I thought, good on gravel too. Maybe would have got more out of the rear in normal conditions but I had them on in Alaska and Canada and covered 1200 miles of gravel on them and then a thousand or so on chip seal which was really agressive on tyres.
2 Hillbillies, 2 Bikes, 22,000 Miles, 12 Weeks
www.mainlyduesouth.com
www.justgiving.com/mainlyduesouth

Offline dogpuf

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 20:29:49 »
Can you get them cheap in the UK?
C'mon spring I want to get riding

Offline flyinscot

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 21:47:12 »
There is a Dealer in Doncaster ,can't recall the name but has a showroom split in two. one for off roaders and a cafe inside.
I used Maxxis for a couple of years on my gixer and never had any issues.
If I can find the dealer name I'll post it.

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 16:09:01 »
Just took the Maxxis front tyre off (replaced it with an Anakee 2), it did 22437 miles which I think is very respectable considering that the rear Maxxis only lasted 7100 miles. I really have no particular complaints about the front tyre, it did well in both wet and dry. If I couldn't find an Anakee 2 for some reason I'd put another Maxxis on the front without hesitation (I can't say the same for the rear.) Also, the Maxxis worked very well combined with an Anakee 2 on the rear.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog