Author Topic: spongy brakes  (Read 782 times)

Offline BigBird

spongy brakes
« on: December 15, 2010, 21:51:16 »
hi all

front brake level feels a bit spongy, so going to whip off the calipers and give them a bit of a clean.

will changing the brake fluid make a lot of differents?  or any other tips?

cheers for now.

Offline Beerbelly

Re: spongy brakes
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 22:25:25 »
No harm in changing the fluid, it should every two to three years as a matter of course.

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 00:25:01 »
If you change the fluid and that ain't the problem, bleeding them will do the trick and you'll be doing that anyway.

Personally, I like the front brake a little bit soft. That way I'm less likely to lock it up. (none of Your new-fangled ABS here)

Offline ukiboy

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 12:19:20 »
If you tape or cable tie the front brake on and leave it for a day or so that should make any air in the system rise to the top as the system is pressurised. I've used this trick over the years and it can sometimes be effective in firming up the brake action. This obviously put stress on the seals so don't wrench the brake lever all the way back to the bar and don't leave it for days on end..

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 23:25:22 »
+1 for the cable tie to the bar trick, I've done it overnight and it works. Check your brake hoses too, if they are cracked and perishing they will need replacement. Off the top of my head I recall the service manual saying to change them every 4 years (not that I always listen to the service manual...) As you have a K5 they older than that if they've never been changed.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog