Author Topic: side lights  (Read 1182 times)

Offline BigBird

side lights
« on: December 12, 2010, 22:24:05 »
hi all
I'd fancied some new led sidelights, not sure why just did. I got them off ebay for £3 (bargain). I thought they would be fitted in 5 minutes, wrong! it ended more like an hour. First prob was how to get to the back of the sidelight, in the end I went for removing the side panel, this worked but was still tight. Second prob was how to get the bulb holder out of the light unit? it is rubber and feels like it just pushes in, no it turns 90 degrees then pulls out. I found this out after the old blub had fallen into the headlight unit, the only way to get it out was through the headlight bulb hole, what fun (not). I got it out with a piece of wire with stickytape on the end, (not cool).At this point it all went smoothly, new bulbs in ,checked working,sidepanel on , done. They do look good and bright.

If anyone has a better way of getting in there, I would love to know for next time. ###

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
Re: side lights
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 23:02:25 »
I think I posted my episode with the front park lights somewhere. I also dropped the bulb in and it got stuck a bit so I had to take the whole front off the bike to get it out. I replaced mine with bright white LED ones. They were cheap crap and they've both failed already. I think I'll just put normal bulbs in as replacements come next MOT. With the good bulbs I have in the headlights the sidelights are not really noticeable.

The whole trick is to get the rubber bulb holder out and back in. Once I figured out to turn it I could manage it without taking any covers off. It's a bit of a squeeze and a cramped hand a few times, but in the end it's quicker than taking it all apart and not something that needs doing often.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Countrysailor

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 19:13:13 »
Juvecu, you are a fountain of knowledge. I've lost count of the times I've read your inputs and answers to peoples problems. Reckon you could publish a little book on the V-stroms by now. Thanks for being a member  :thumb:
Keep it between the ditches...

Offline indiana

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 15:31:21 »
I've fitted some looks nice and bright.(see avatar).
I lifted the console up to gain better access.
A Bike is for Life, not just for the weekend!

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 23:31:39 »
Thanks Countrysailor, most of it comes from other people who have posted on here. My wife will confirm that I have a good memory when it comes to 'things that doesn't matter' and a terrible memory when it comes to everyday stuff I 'should have remembered'. Credit to everyone else on the forum for their bits, I've learned a lot in my time on here and the rest is from experience (aka the knowledge you get of how to do it correctly AFTER you messed it up badly), love tinkering with my Wee  :thumb:
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Quoman

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 13:57:32 »
undo the side bolt by the indicator and you can get your hand in there, and completely remove the bulb, holder and all! oh my god its a pain, but once you done it a few times its quite quick
ARE YOU READY?
3RD JANUARY IS LOOMING, TIME TO BECOME COMPLIANT
http://www.ecuclinic.com