Author Topic: Is it the iridium plugs?  (Read 817 times)

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
Is it the iridium plugs?
« on: October 18, 2010, 10:15:13 »
I have to service my bike every 4 weeks due to the amount of miles I do for commuting. This past weekend I changed the spark plugs, but instead of using the regular NGK CR8E plugs I used the iridium version: CR8EIX. I do admit that I'm long overdue changing the plugs,  probably 7k miles, there's a boring explanation for that. Anyway, reason I'm posting is to ask if anyone else noticed an significant difference by changing from normal to iridium plugs. The bike is pulling so much better, it's rev happy again and it feels and sounds better. It is not my imagination, I did think it was when I went out on it yesterday after changing the plugs, but after the trip to work this morning (85.5 miles) I had enough time on it to be sure. It could simply be that the old plugs were done for, but I'm not so sure.

So, anyone seen/felt/heard a big difference changing to iridium plugs?
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline jonH

• Bike: R1200GS LC
Re: Is it the iridium plugs?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 12:25:12 »
if your plug change was well overdue, you'd have noticed a big difference either way. my plug change was 1k late and it was a different bike when it came back
There is nothing in life that cannot be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas

Offline 73bm73

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 12:58:20 »
It would be interresting to see, if there is also a difference detectable on an engine test bench...? :eusa-think:

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 15:10:39 »
It would make sense that it would be the plug change that's overdue if it's that noticeable for other people as well. I'll see on the figures if it makes any difference to MPG.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog