Author Topic: PC III  (Read 779 times)

Offline gadgetmandb

PC III
« on: October 11, 2010, 17:30:40 »
what does a PC III do and things like a power commander do ?
What are the benefit of having one.?
where do they attach to?
Where on the bike would you store it?
Are Hello pound for pound worth it?
do they work?

All these questions and more are buzzing through my head... just want to get the best from my bike  :ty:
Bikes owned.DL1000 k2 vario screen, Heated grips, Givi Top box & scotoiler.Heart broken when she was written off. Triumph Tiger 1050 SE Matt Grey/Black. Panniers heated Grips, centre stand, side stand, touring screen. Based somewhere in Dagenham

Offline Beerbelly

Re: PC III
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 19:37:36 »
A PCIII power commander is a small box of electronics which plugs into the fuel injection system, in between the ECU and the injectors. The box is only the size of a fag packet so fits under the seat easily. They can be fine tuned to alter the signal sent by the ECU to the injectors so that the amount of fuel delivery can be precisely set,they also have a wider range of adjustment when compared to a standard ECU which relies on an O2 sensor to set the mix at certain revs. You have to disable the O2 sensor or it would just override the PCIII map at certain points defeating the whole point of having a PCIII in the first place.

Engines work best at a particular air to fuel ratio (from memory around 13 parts air to 1 part fuel). Usually, manufacturers alter this ratio at certain points in the rev band to get around emission controls, typically by making the mixture lean. A power commander works by allowing this ratio to be 'tweaked' to suit the particular engine concerned. For this reason they are best when properly set up on a dyno so the exhaust gases can be measured at the various points of engine range when under load, although they come with a standard 'map' which works okay. Different maps can be quickly loaded into PCIII by using a lap top and USB cable.

When installed they can result in a smoother running engine which may make a little more power than standard, although many people use them in conjunction with a more freely breathing exhaust system as the standard ECU can't always alter the fuelling enough to make it run properly with an increased air flow. The ECU's on later V Stroms (certainly the Vee's) were refined somewhat so fitting a PCIII may not improve things too much.

If your bike is running nice and smooth I don't see there being much of a need to spend around £400 having one fitting and set up. If however you do get one you will notice a subtle improvement. I've found that the fuel consumption increased slightly after mine was done, presumably because because it doesn't quite as lean as before, but my bike now runs really smoothly, driving cleanly, even from low revs, with no popping or back firing on the over run and it makes a little more power. As an alternative it is possible to have the standard ECU altered at a dealer using a 'Teka' box or similar, a slightly cheaper way of doing the job but not quite as 'fine tunable' as a PCIII. another good thing about the PCIII is that it doesn't change any ECU settings, if you unplug it the bike will run as it did on the standard ECU.

Offline dogpuf

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 06:02:31 »
An excellent summary from Beerbelly

In my opinion I think they are worth every penny and I have had three Vee's - a K3, a KLV and my present K2 - and I have fitted a PC III on all of them. If you fit some end cans and a K&N air filter along with a PC III you can download free maps and raise your BHP and more importantly your torque, by over 10%. If you have a Dyno session done and a tailored map done it is even better. All these changes are expensive but they transform the bike and if you shop about it can be done for less than you think. A standard Vee makes around 85 bhp at the rear wheel - mine makes 100bhp

If you decide to do similar mods to mine (see my signature) I would be happy to send you my Map for you to load and try on your bike - you will not believe the difference - it will be like a new bike.  

Or for about £120 - once you have decided what configuration you want on your bike I.e. Pipes & cans, airfilter, secondaries in or out, Baffles in or out - book it in a Dynajet centre for a dyno session and mapping. This made another huge change in my opinion. The bike was creamy smooth and goes like a rocket ship all through the rev range.

I meant to keep this post short but I feel strongly that on a K2 like you have, it would be worth every penny :thumb:

cheers Lee

PS When I had my KLV done I bought a pre-owned PC III then sweet talked my local Dynajet centre into fitting the PCIII for free /the same price as a Dyno Session - I think this time of year you should be able to get a similar deal
C'mon spring I want to get riding

Offline ilenny20

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 21:49:50 »
Thanks lads, I now feel totally enlightened on this subject. For along time I was umming and arrring about taking the plunge for a power commander, I feel more confident to do it now as I now know what it does.
Once again thanks.
Now the hard part, how to sell this impending purchase to the wife.

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 09:52:05 »
Quote from: "ilenny20"
Now the hard part, how to sell this impending purchase to the wife.
It hides under the seat, she never needs to know about it  :grin:
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog