Author Topic: dodgy starting  (Read 1264 times)

Offline cearnshaw

dodgy starting
« on: March 08, 2010, 13:40:27 »
K9 650 with 1220 miles (I got it then it's done nothing but snow!). Last night refused to start, all the lights came on , whirred and clicked but nothing when pressing the ignition. Tried a few times then I hit the kill switch just in case. It did the check thing that it does then started stright away. Tried a few more starts and was fine, started again this morning no bother and again at lunchtime when I had to nip out. Came to start it again to get back and then refused to start again. Went through the same with the kill switch (twice this time) and started. Pulled up outside the dealers to see what would happen. started x5 no bother :shrug:  

The only thing I can see is that when they fitted the handguards at the dealer they seem to have mangled the plastic a little and it's shoving against the clutch switch but I only spotted that when I got back to work so didn't manipulate it to get it started. Any ideas?
Honda xr125, Bandit 650, v-strom 650 ABS 2001 W650 Versys 1000

Offline GrahamT

Re: dodgy starting
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 16:51:33 »
If you get zilch when you press the starter, even though there is power everywhere, it is likely to be around the clutch, neutral or sidestand switches. From what you have said, I would look at the clutch. The plug is just a push on, so can be disturbed. It might be as simple as pushing the plug (wires leading to underside of clutch lever) in straight.
We used to have Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.
Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope.

Offline pad

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 16:51:55 »
The clutch swith is very delicate. If you knock the handguards or displace the connector it can lead to problems like yours. I knocked the switch out after I dropped the bike, it initially worked OK but failed a few months later.I have just had it replaced under warranty.

Offline cearnshaw

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 18:51:44 »
started fine tonight. I reckon clutch switch is the culprit. I don't know why I bother paying dealers to do stuff though. I got them to fit the handguards when I bought the bike and looking at it closely they've made a right pigs ear of it. The hole that the bolt fits through on the underside is mangled, the plastic has snapped and was pushing the clutch switch sideways. They also made a right mess of my heated grips on my last bike which I virtually had to take off and redo. I pay 'em 'cos I don't have time to DIY but to be honest I end up doing most of it again anyway ###

Offline cearnshaw

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 21:03:35 »
Happened again tonight. It seems related to the kill switch. Any more ideas?

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 14:11:58 »
Is the only variable involved the kill switch? I mean, is it as before, bike won't start then only thing you do is operate the kill switch and it starts? Could try taking the switch off and giving it a visual, then maybe some spray-on contact cleaner (from Maplins, say). The bike sounds too new, really, to be corroded up, but you never know  :shrug:
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Commander

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 20:57:24 »
Can you clarify what happens again please. It sounds as if when you try to start the bike the engine starter motor is not cranking when you press the button, but the dials sweep, the fuel pump whines, and you get a clicking?? Is this correct? If you are getting a clicking, it is the starter solenoid you can hear. Therefore, the fault must be a poor connection to your starter motor, or a faulty starter motor.

Offline cearnshaw

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 21:44:49 »
nope, it's not a starter motor click. When I say whirrs and clicks I just mean the general noises that the bike makes when you switch the key to on. Goes through the routine, press the ignition button and nothing happens at all. If I turn the key off and on again the needles move but in silence now. If I flick the kill switch on + of it will then start. It's done it half a dozen times now. Sometimes I think it might be if I try to fire the bike up before it has gone through it's start up routine if I'm in a hurry

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 22:40:06 »
Check out the VSRI site and do a search - I'll try to post a link here...

http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=1f9e5d9ab011436cce7c4f6632bdb473&topic=11824.0

It seems an anti-theft measure , an inline resistor, might be a possible culprit , worth considering...?

dave
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline cearnshaw

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 13:53:49 »
ta :ty:

Offline Strommer

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 18:13:16 »
Did you have any luck with that link?

I've had similar and it was just a dud battery.  Clicks away but nothing takes.

No harm in charging the battery anyway as you're abortive starting will be hurting at a bit.   :limp:

NB - Do you leave it parked with the kill switch off or on?

A disgrace to biking...