Author Topic: Second bike  (Read 1345 times)

Offline kafue

• Bike: Vstrom800re, gsxs950, Honda crf300rally
Second bike
« on: September 13, 2010, 17:02:26 »
At present I am doing around 16k miles a year on my DL650 and have decided to buy a second bike to split the mileage. I usually trade my bikes in around this mileage but I like it to much to let it go.

Is the KLE500 a good bike to have as a general run around and a bit of offroad usage?

Any ideas

Offline Nix

Re: Second bike
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 18:11:28 »
You can't go too far wrong with something like a Yamaha FZS600 (the older carb model).

Excellent handling, comfortable upright riding position, superb economy (60mpg easily obtainable) and some great stoppers on the front.

Highly recommended, especially as they're so cheap to buy these days. :thumb:
I'm NOT political so DON'T correct me!

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 21:25:34 »
I'm looking at getting a second bike too. Something that will be able to do the 172 mile daily commute that I have occasionally when I'm doing bigger work on the Wee. At present I'm leaning towards a Royal Enfield Bullet Classic, I found a place near me that can arrange a test ride when I have time some weekend. I'm still having a look around though and I'm open to other options.

ps. I like the Fazers :)
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline minkyhead

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 23:29:26 »
Quote from: "Juvecu"
I'm looking at getting a second bike too. Something that will be able to do the 172 mile daily commute that I have occasionally when I'm doing bigger work on the Wee. At present I'm leaning towards a Royal Enfield Bullet Classic, I found a place near me that can arrange a test ride when I have time some weekend. I'm still having a look around though and I'm open to other options.

ps. I like the Fazers :)

a nice sunny day    no  main roads   .. time of no issue   ..the enfield will do a job  for u  
 piising down with rain    dark   ...  cold   don't go there

I use mine occasionally for  work     but the above applies  
   lights and front brake  weather protection   poor  

strange thing  but for commuting  just use  the wee   mines knocking on 50k  up  and runs perfect  can't think of anything better   for the job I ask it to do    don't see why it won't do 100k     ...feed oil  rack  miles    simples    :shrug:

you have a bike that you know has been looked after not abused or dropped     .. look after it  and  it will turn into your second bike itself     :clap:
may be sorry I said that  but  ... so far so good  .. it will take a lot of  hard  shitty work   without complaint     :thumb:

mines a 07      I have a spare engine off ebay  4300 mile up on the garage bench     complete with  everything  injector banks  the lot   ...take out  put in    ..cost     350  quid  plus  70 quid delivery

can't see why id need it yet  but  whas a  with that mileage  worth   ?  
turn your wee into the  hack
What's the weather forecast  ...where's  me map

Offline SimonW

• Bike: DL1050XT
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 23:40:08 »
Have been thinking about a second bike for the winter, to stop the salt eating my Strom. Have considered a dirt cheap Diversion - any thoughts?

Best wishes
Simon.

Offline minkyhead

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 23:49:29 »
Quote from: "SimonW"
Have been thinking about a second bike for the winter, to stop the salt eating my Strom. Have considered a dirt cheap Diversion - any thoughts?

Best wishes
Simon.

if u want me to be honest   ...wash the wee regular  and ride it   ..  mines in good cosmetic  nick  
   not  bad at all   entering its fourth winter   water pumps  furred up a bit     ..  but  I dint  care  I just   dremmeled it off and painted it black  

By minkyhead at 2009-01-23

By minkyhead at 2009-10-11
What's the weather forecast  ...where's  me map

Offline dogpuf

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 00:31:06 »
Quote from: "kafue"
At present I am doing around 16k miles a year on my DL650 and have decided to buy a second bike to split the mileage. I usually trade my bikes in around this mileage but I like it to much to let it go.

Is the KLE500 a good bike to have as a general run around and a bit of offroad usage?

Any ideas

I think the KLE500 would serve you well as a winter bike. A 600 bandit is another good choice. Any Jap bike in decent mechanical nick should do the job.
C'mon spring I want to get riding

Offline Lukey Bike

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 06:11:49 »
Use the Strom all year and just buy a load of cans of ACF50 and wash it regularly. And strip the brakes. I've done the last three winters on mine and wouldn't have used anything else. Sure, the top box rack and engine bars are rusting a bit now, but if the bike wasn't in such regular service I could mint it up again. (My water pump cover did the same - will dremmel and hammerite!)

I've been reliably informed the valve clearances will never need adjusting as long as the bike is always warmed up before being revved hard. Just change the oil regularly (6000 miles and not 4000 is acceptable).

Bikes are there to be used, and I'm writing a feature about people who own second bikes in the winter and (judging by the amount of replies I got on my post on here about it - zero) I don't think many people bother with another for the colder months. It may be the cost of insurance, tax, MoT etc.

Royal Enfield - couldn't imagine a worse winter bike. Or for any time fo the year.

Luke
2007 DL650
41,000 miles, R&G Crash protection, 17in front wheel, 53 litre Kappa top Box, Suzuki Engine guards, Ermax bellypan, Oxford heated grips, GSX-R1000 indicators, Scottoiler, Avon Storms, EBC pads,

Offline Countrysailor

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 10:47:06 »
Great Job on the waterpump cover Minkyhead, Mine still okay at mo' but looking how yours looks I like it, was it hammerite you used?
Keep it between the ditches...

Offline Sven

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 11:44:41 »
Quote from: "Countrysailor"
Great Job on the waterpump cover Minkyhead, Mine still okay at mo' but looking how yours looks I like it, was it hammerite you used?

Have a look here. Minky done a full write-up. :thumb:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3098

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 21:05:45 »
I'm misunderstood, not aiming to use the RE as a winter bike, I'm just looking at it as a second bike and on the odd occasion that the Wee is gettng work done to it I want something that can last a bit on a motorway, even if it's not that comfy or protected. The real idea with the RE is to putter around B roads lazily sight seeing. I wouldn't give a RE any thought as a winter bike, the Wee is more than adequate for that anyway and that's one of the reasons I decided on it.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Countrysailor

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 10:04:06 »
Thanks for the link Sven. All is clear.
Keep it between the ditches...

Offline kafue

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 11:51:35 »
Picked up a second hand KLE500 last Friday. A nice little bike but not as good as the V-Strom. Once I wear the tyres out I will replace them with some suitable for a bit of green laneing. It is a lot lighter than the strom so would be okay off road on easy green lanes.

At 70 on the motorway it was okay but I would not like to travel more than 50 odd miles without a rest. The seat is very slim ( a bit like a DRZ400 ) so a numb bum was soon felt. The side stand and the brakes a crap.

Overall well pleased. It really highlighted to me what a good touring bike the V-Stroms are.

Offline Hooligan

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 19:09:16 »
Had a KLE500 M reg from Nov 2003 'til May 2004 and knocked up 2840 winter miles on it that would have been put on my, at the time, 1200 Bandit. Bike did the winter use quite well, took it to Scotland and found it comfortable enough. However, although I'm sure you'll find well maintained greenlanes OK that's the limit as it'll not cope well with anything difficult. Having said that I did have standard tyres on mine whereas some more aggressive tread would have been welcome for improved traction on some of the tracks I attempted!

I'm good at keeping figures on my bikes back to early 2000's so here's the summary:
Purchase mileage 10942 sold with 13782 difference 2840
279.81 litres of fuel or 61.55 gallons average 46.14 mpg (costing at the time £221.86 which is 8p a mile from 79p per litre)

OK stop yawning but check this out, I'm currently getting over 65 mpg from my DL650 which is also costing me 8p a mile! I suppose on balance that's not bad given the increased cost of fuel over the last six years!

OK you can all wake up now and go and put the kettle on!
But, of course, if you wish to discuss this further we could just step outside!

Offline mully

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2010, 20:18:44 »
Quote from: "kafue"

Any ideas
I really liked my previous bike, an XT600. It was great at doing exactly what you want if for:
"a general run around & a bit of green laneing"
Plus points - It was light & flickable, easy to keep clean, simple to service & did about 60 mpg. Sounded great. Surprisingly my wife found it comfortable on the pillion.
Minus points - Would do 90/95 mph, but 65/70 max crusising speed as flighty above this & no top end power.
Numb arse after couple of hours.

I wish I had kept it as a 2nd bike/winter hack.

Offline kafue

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 07:15:35 »
On the first two tank fill ups the mpg on the kle500 was 61 mpg. That was taking it easy until I get used to the bike.

My DL650 with blasting down the motorways and pottering around the dales and lakes is around 52 mpg

I soon realised that the kle would not touch a drz on the offroad stuff.

Still as a winter/ second bike so far a good choice.