Author Topic: help red light centre of display  (Read 2908 times)

Anonymous

help red light centre of display
« on: September 08, 2010, 21:12:54 »
just arrived folkestone on day one of euro mini tour
. a red light came on right in centre of the dash jist before I parked up. checked oil is OK but need quick advice from someone who has manual or knows. sorry flr typos etc but am typing on phone. thnx

Offline Beerbelly

Re: help red light centreof display
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 21:39:18 »
According to the manual the red indicator light only lights up in conjunction with another form of 'fault' light, this could include low oil pressure, in which case the 'oil can' symbol will also light, or in conjunction with a fuel injection fault when the 'FI' should light where the clock would normally show. There are two FI fault modes, the first when it shows the 'FI' warning alternating with the clock and the red indicator light stays lit, in which case the engine should still run. The second mode is when the 'FI' remains lit and the red indicator light blinks, in which case the engine will probably not run. If the FI is lit then the manual says you need it checking at a dealer. The only other time the red indicators seems to light is if the engine coolant temperature is too high.
 Hope this helps.

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 22:22:56 »
thanks,
will look for other symbols tomorrow and check water. trouble is I normallynever look at the dash apart from fuel.

Anonymous

The fault is an F1 - what to do? and where does water go?
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 18:12:37 »
Update

Rode on anyway for another day as it wasn't overheating and I didn'tnotice any particular problems.

I'm intermittently gettng the same fault, which I can now see is an F1 faul. It shows especially when I've been caning it down the autoroute for a while. Seems the F1 symbeol appears flashing alternately with the clock. Tried a few small towns but no motorbike dealers. Anyone know iof I should be getting this sorted ASAP or if I can sit it out till I get back to UK?

Also - idiot mode on - where do you check the water level on a strom and where to you put water in. Never had to do it as I've only had it a short while and got it serviced at the garage not long back?

Clueless, currrently halfway down France by sheer luck :)

Offline Beerbelly

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 19:52:12 »
You could try checking the dealer codes to see if it shows up the particular fault, a paper clip or bit of wire is all you need,

see here http://www.v-strom.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3907&p=30520&hilit=dealer+code#p30520

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 23:13:05 »
Quote from: "Beerbelly"
You could try checking the dealer codes to see if it shows up the particular fault, a paper clip or bit of wire is all you need,

see here http://www.v-strom.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3907&p=30520&hilit=dealer+code#p30520

Quality link -  :ty:  :fix:

Offline Beerbelly

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 13:49:22 »
Sorry, just saw the second part of your last question re water filling. Dead easy. Look down through the fairing hole to the right of the right fork leg, you can clearly see the expansion bottle. The level needs to be between the lower and upper marks on the side of the bottle. To fill just take off the rubber stopper on top of the bottle and pour in, the angle is a bit tricky though.

Apologies- I didn't appreciate the Wee expansion bottle is located in a different place to the Vee.

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 14:05:35 »
On the Wee the radiator overflow bottle is located "under" the tank behind the left seat side fairing. You can pull the fairing at the rear so it clips out the plastic push in pins from the rubber holes (seat has to be removed) and then you can just about get in there to fill it (don't pull too far else you will break it off at the front, it's easy to feel when it starts resisting.)
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Hutchie

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 11:30:43 »
Unless it's an ABS, in which case it is under the tank, right at the back

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 20:29:36 »
I learn something new about these bikes every day :)
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Anonymous

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 21:00:13 »
Thanks blokes. Fairly sure I know what it is now after several hundred more kilometres.  When fuel tank is full down to about half full, the light goes off. Half full or less and voila, red light. I'm guessing some sort of fuel pump issue? And known issues with wee-stroms in this respect? Or stroms nit like Europetrol? Been putting regular 95 stuff in till today - tried some 98 Esso pricey juice today in the mix to see if it helps or hinders....

Oh yeah - and my accomodation for the next week is 100metres  off the N500 mentioned earlier. Now have a week of fun (hopefully - strom don't let me down.,..,) in the southern black forest and the alps. Rode down from Freiburg via Titisee neustadt earlier today - WOW! - best biking run of my life :) Hope the weather holds up for weekdays as the roads are heaving busy today with all the local bikers and campervans so hard to get a proper move on.

Offline Lawrence

Re: help red light centre of display
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 17:17:01 »
Great link beer belly all printed out and safely in maintenance book for future reference :ty:
Lawrence
To Infinity and Beyond