Author Topic: How do I ( Brake Pads)  (Read 2186 times)

Offline Big Al wi the Vee

How do I ( Brake Pads)
« on: April 04, 2012, 14:47:09 »
Having been told recently by another strommer/rider that the brake pad guide pins on the Vee were a pain in the Donkey to remove :)  I thought I would go for it and replace my brakes :)

Now after an hour of careful effort I have realised he wasn't jesting :GRR: I have reassembled the damn things and now would like to ask if anyone can tell me the best way to remove these bloody pins without trashing them or failing that I'll happily trash them and replace with new, remembering to grease the new buggers up when assembling.  

Help Please :violin:  :violin:

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
Re: How do I ( Brake Pads)
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 15:00:01 »
First you remove the clips that hold them in place, that is obvious, but something one could miss if you're not familiar with it as they are quite small and when they are dirty they are hard to see. Then it's a case of getting the pins turned to break any corrosion between them and the holes they are in. They have a hex head so if you an get a small ring spanner or, more ideally, a small socket onto them you'll sort it (use hex instead of the 12 sided ones if you can.) Don't be tempted to use pliers as the chances for rounding the heads are high. Rather go to Halfrauds/Machine Mart/your favourite tools supplier and buy some quater inch sockets in small sizes if you don't have any, they are always handy and normally cheap (or borrow some from your neighbour :)) Once you get them turned it'll be easy to get them out, some penetrating oil/Plusgas might help things along. Use a bit of sand paper to clean out the holes the pin goes through and use a wire brush on the pins to clean them well before putting them back on. A wire brush in a drill works a charm.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Big Al wi the Vee

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 19:19:14 »
Juvecu,

Many thanks for the response. am having a beer now so guess what I'm doing tomorrow? :ty:

Offline SimonW

• Bike: DL1050XT
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 19:33:02 »
Quote from: "Big Al wi the Vee"
Juvecu,

Many thanks for the response. am having a beer now so guess what I'm doing tomorrow? :ty:
Getting up late then rummaging around for some paracetamol?  :obscene-drinkingchug:

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 23:14:16 »
lol
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)

Offline Jimmy nae so bright

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 07:26:48 »
If you have the calipers off you may want to check the slider pins, in particular the one that goes into the long rubber bellows where the bellows acts as a bush.  I have two warped discs now as I was too lazy to sort it sooner.  Generally the pins hold grease well... but... In my case I had so much corrosion between the caliper and the bellows/bush, lots of white shite, that it clamped the slider pin solid despite there being plenty of grease in the slider itself.  (no corrosion on moving parts if this makes sense)
If you grease your slider pins make sure you remove the bellows/bush from the caliper and clean its hole! it is the one that looks like this by the way (number 6 in second link). It will come out with a screwdriver.
http://www.peugeotscooterspares.co.uk/spares/partImage.asp?GPN=Z%3A%3E86828%3B%3A552555&uid=0
Quite glad I have some second hand discs sitting about as I am not buying new ones!

As for your pad slider pin (there is only one to remove) make sure you remove the R clip, number 12, grab the head head with mole grips and twist and pull, will come out easy.
http://www.peugeotscooterspares.co.uk/spares/epcImages/5065/59.jpg
http://www.mainlyduesouth.com
2 Hillbillies, 2 Bikes, 22,000 Miles, 12 Weeks

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 09:43:56 »
I've had the same problem as Jimmy, warped discs because of that slider pin that goes into the rubber (the one in the first link) was getting stuck. I replaced the calipers because I didn't know what it was.

Offline Abercol

• Bike: 2016 Explorer XRT
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 10:46:32 »
What did you use for grease on the sliders? LM or some funky brake grease stuff??

Can you guess that mine are due any day now (have the pads, just waiting for decent weather to sit on my drive and dismantle the buggers...must sell the children and buy a garage!!)

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 11:54:35 »
I use some white rubber friendly synthetic grease my old man gave me. It's Mercedes stuff and the 100ml tube has lasted me for ages (literally years) because I don't really use it for anything else than on brakes. If I run out I will use red rubber grease, search eBay for "K12 red rubber grease", that's what a lot of other on here seem to rate. I'm sure other brands of red rubber grease will be  fine too, you want something that's water resistant and that won't make rubber swell or degrade.

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 12:14:23 »
Despite my recent grease education I just use general purpose stuff, seems to work and is cheap as chips!

Offline chrisreid

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 12:45:33 »
its cheap because you probably use mine!
www.mainlyduesouth.com
www.justgiving.com/mainlyduesouth

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 13:20:04 »
Aye, buy you know you can always borrow my condom when you find a woman.  Just don't wash it out with de-greaser again, it makes me itch.