Author Topic: Ignition Switch  (Read 967 times)

Offline Lifebiker

• Bike: BMW R1150RT
Ignition Switch
« on: April 06, 2010, 21:50:24 »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, my 650X has done 2900 miles and I have an intermittent electrical problem, when I turn the key the gauges do their sweep but the red light in the middle of the clocks starts to flash which indicates a fuel injection problem, basically the fuel pump circuit is not being energised and I believe the problem sits in the ignition switch. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
It is still under warranty but this is major surgery to change the switch and I am not sure if Suzuki UK will do a complete lock set change.

Your views, thoughts, obscene comments most welcome. :shrug:

Offline Howie8447

Re: Ignition Switch
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 00:42:56 »
Have you checked the engine run switch, as this will cause same thing to happen,they get knocked quite easily when moving bike around

Offline dogpuf

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 03:06:13 »
It would be nice if you would update your profile with your bike and location

Have you got an Alarm or immobiliser fitted

before turning the ignition switch check

1. Kill switch in go position
2. Bike in Neutral
3. Side stand fully up
4. Pull clutch lever

Turn ignition - you should hear the fuel pump prime - then starter button

Its more likely to be one of the 1 to 4 four safety device sensors that are faulty than the ignition IMO

Lee
C'mon spring I want to get riding

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 23:41:03 »
AFAIK the red FI light doesn't mean Fuel Injection, it means Fault Indicator.

See THIS thread for more detail.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline V-Strom-Mark

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 01:30:23 »
As it is under warranty I would certainly take it to the dealer to sort out, they will be able to read the code that is displayed and deal with it.  Although sod's law says it won't do it when you take it in! (Hello, I've just noticed the 'head banging against wall 'smilie has disappeared, amongst others  :GRR: )

Just my 2p worth.
Mark.

There's someone in my head but it's not me.   Roger Waters

Offline raggydan

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 08:31:42 »
Its under warranty and it has a problem within the cover period. I'd take it straight back
and wouldn't take no for an answer.Don't try and second guess what they will or won't do,
go there and tell you want it sorted.

Offline Lifebiker

• Bike: BMW R1150RT
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 21:34:50 »
Hello all I have been out of it for a while busy etc, Thunderroad Motorcycles at Bridgend did a wonderfull job of replaclng the switch, well done Nigel!

Offline SgtSmash

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 11:31:43 »
Hello mate - I use Thunder Road too and I find the service blokes a lot better than the sales blokes!

If you're in the South Wales area then have a look in the rideouts section as there's a few of us in the s.Wales area and it would be good to have a meet up and go for a spin!

Andy (Doublevodka) is the rideout co-ordinator for s.Wales even though I seem to be doing all the legwork ( ### ).

I'm in the Neath area, and Andy is ex-neath but now in the Ammanford area.  We're always up for a spin and a laugh.  Hope to see you soon!
"Reading isn't an occupation we encourage amongst Police Officers. We try to keep paperwork down to a minimum" -Orten.

"Warning! You want a warning? O.K., I'm warning you not to do that again or I'll give you another ticket." - Anon .