Author Topic: So long Jessie  (Read 1135 times)

Offline steve1962

So long Jessie
« on: June 11, 2010, 18:28:52 »
With heavy heart I've just got back from  taking Jessie to the vets to be put to sleep - fit as a fiddle for 15 years , she had developed a very agressive tumour and we have no alternative but to send her to doggy heaven .

It's all happened very suddenly , but we couldn't let her suffer .

http://steve1962.smugmug.com/Landscapes ... 7721_Hco2C

Steve

firestrom

Re: So long Jessie
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 18:38:32 »
so sorry to hear that :(   it's awful to lose a family member.

Offline raggydan

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 18:51:15 »
Its a hard thing to do but as I found out a couple of years ago sometimes you have to bite the
bullet and do what's best for the animal. Luckily my vet came to our house and I held the old boy(staffie) on
his favourite blanket and he just slipped away.It is truly losing a member of your family.

You did the right thing mate.

Offline Catballou

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 19:58:05 »
Ahh sorry ... I had to my cat cat put down a while ago ..that was bad enough, I dread to think what I'll feel; like if I have to take the dog
Life isn't about waiting for the strom to pass.... it's about learning to dance in the rain

Offline V-Strom-Mark

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 20:48:44 »
Sorry to hear that, Steve.  It's a hard decision to make, but as you said you couldn't let her suffer.  Just remember all of the good times you had with her, I'm sure there are lots.
Mark.

There's someone in my head but it's not me.   Roger Waters

Offline steve1962

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 22:40:15 »
Thanks all - the wife has decided she wants another dog , so we will start looking for a medium size family friendly dog that mixes with other dogs  , aged 2 - 3 years old - will keep you posted .

Steve

Offline dogpuf

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 23:58:03 »
My heart goes out to you - I have two Dachshunds Foxy & Jack and I would be distraught if anything were to happen to them. At least she had a happy life with you and 15 is a good age for a dog to get too.

All the best

Lee
C'mon spring I want to get riding

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 00:31:31 »
Sorry mate, it's never easy.

Life can be shit
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline Sven

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 00:57:07 »
Sorry to hear that, mate. I know just how difficult & upsetting a time it can be.
Brought a lump to my throat to read your thread - as about 3 years ago had to have my Lab (also called Jessie) put to sleep after she had a stroke. Brought back memories...
Couldn't bring myself to get another for about a year But now have a cocker spaniel who's equally as lovely.
All the best.

Offline steve1962

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 17:50:41 »
.......well , that didn't last long .
As much as we loved Jessie , we are getting another .......NEXT SATURDAY !!

Jeanette really was inconsolable yesterday , so today we drove down to Old Windsor to look at some of the dogs at their branch of the Battersea Dogs Home .

We had to register , and then wait for an interview before being allowed proper interaction with any dog - well , the wait betwix registration and interview was a couple of hours , so we went for a walk in the grounds ... where we bumped into a volunteer dog walker who was walking one of the incumbents ........a 5 year old black and white springer spaniel called Jake ....... a real live wire , and very affectionate , house trained and used as a gun dog too - that was it , we had to have him .
Back to the interview [ plain sailing for us ] , and then we asked if Jake was still available as we were very interested - he is so - 10 minutes later and we were taking him for a walk - instant success all round !!

So , we will be collecting him next saturday , and will be buying a new bed and collar for him in the meantime .

God Bless Jessie , we were blessed to have her - now we can move on with Jake .

Steve