Author Topic: I'll be honest, I don't even know what the problem is  (Read 228 times)

Offline Casgardian

• Bike: DL650 L2, 02 FZS600
I'll be honest, I don't even know what the problem is
« on: October 08, 2024, 16:32:31 »
My bike was working fine one day, I parked the bike in the garage, the key in the off position. The next day I got the bike out and it was dead. Completely dead. No lights, no nothing. I tried to charge the battery and it wouldn't take a charge. I connected the battery charger terminals directly to the bikes +/- terminals and turned the charger on, with the key still in the off position. The lights came on, but were dim, the rev counter needle move it's full range but was slower and the fuel pump did it's normal power up function, albeit slower. the key still in the off position. Then once it was finished with it's pre engine start ritual, it went off. I tried the key, nothing, I disconnected the battery charger from the bike and gave it a moment, reconnected it, and still nothing. I ordered a new battery, just installed it and with the key in the off position the lights come on, the F1 error code comes on the screen and the cooling fan comes on. If I turn the key to the on position the lights get a bit brighter but won't start. I have to disconnect the battery for the lights and fan to stop.

2012 650

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
Re: I'll be honest, I don't even know what the problem is
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2024, 17:07:15 »
You've got either a short somewhere or more likely some severe corrosion. It's going to need you to take the tank off at the very least to get at all the connectors (it could just be the ignition switch, but I would have expected that to completely fail, rather than let a little bit of current through).

A favourite for corrosion is the big multi-plug at the front of the bike, not sure if the ignition switch runs through it or not. There may be a service manual in the downloads section for the L2 model.

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
Re: I'll be honest, I don't even know what the problem is
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2024, 18:26:39 »
A quick 'search' of "loom rubbing on frame" gave these posts. Worth a read through them as the 650 has had issues with this.
You may find more posts by revising the search wording.

https://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?action=search2

Edit, sorry copy & paste doesn't show the posts it only takes you to the search box.
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Online The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2