Author Topic: 800 (RE) Stator output.  (Read 195 times)

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
800 (RE) Stator output.
« on: September 12, 2024, 15:51:48 »
A few years back I posted on here about the stator output from my 650 & asked the question as to "would it have enough 'spare' output to run 2 x heated jackets (Keis) & heated inner gloves for the pillion, plus the other accessories I have on the bike, heated grips, LED spots, chain oiler & Sat Nav"?
In the end I resorted to using a switch to power off the nearside headlight if/when using the 2 jackets at the same time. Worked fine.
After selling the 650 & buying the 800 RE it has been on my mind as to whether the stator output on that would run the jackets/inner gloves & other accessories. I was hoping the fact the 800 has LED headlights that there might be enough output.
Yesterday was test day. The 800 has a volt meter on the display so fitting an additional one was not required.
On our day out yesterday we both wore our Keis jackets & Deb wearing her inner gloves.
At the moment I have no extra accessories fitted, but on the way home last night, with the temps down to 10*, I switched my heated jacket on (Deb had hers on for most of the day) & was very pleased to see that, even on tick over, the volt meter still read between 13.8v & 14.2v. Even when both jackets were switched to high the reading stayed the same.
The reading will fluctuate because that's how the jackets works. Here's a reply I had from Keis when I asked the question when trying to sort my problem a few years ago  .........

"The jackets draw slightly different depending on size but the figures on our site are correct for the bigger sizes. 5.5 amps & 66 watts
The way that the controllers work is that they do not cut the draw down in uniformed sections (as you go down the heat settings). The controller works in fluctuating manor meaning on full you would be drawing the highest figure but on medium the jacket may fluctuate between 5.5 and 4 amps." 

So, I'm a happy bunny & don't expect any problems if I now add heated grips or my own heated gloves or inners, LED spots etc.  :dance:
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
Re: 800 (RE) Stator output.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2024, 16:51:10 »
I've never cut the headlight out on my 650 but I do remember your post Mick about how doing that allows two jackets to run.
Good to hear the 800 can do this without the need for mods  :thumb: