Author Topic: Changing the Fork Seal  (Read 5641 times)

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
Re: Changing the Fork Seal
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2021, 22:46:36 »
Yeah: Del's a source of entertainment, not guidance on how to carry out maintenance on your bike. The hot coolant one was just downright stupid & he clearly burned his hand doing it, but glossed over that & posted it anyway - all cash in his pocket regardless of the risk to viewers.
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2021, 06:45:34 »
My go to guide on fork seal replacement for my model 650, is https://blacklabadventures.com/2012/04/14/replacing-front-fork-seals/. There was a post on another V-Strom site, of using  a Honda 51490-MCF-000 seal for my K4 - K6 650, but I went for the OEM seals. Whether these Honda seals are the same for your model, I don't know. Perhaps ask the dealer to match up the fork seals from your ride, with that of other motorcycle manufacturer like Honda / Yamaha / Kawasaki? There may even be a bit of a cost savings going this route. Just remember to confirm that all the required parts are supplied, if you go this route.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2021, 13:42:47 »
Ah yes, Del boy. Some good info, some not so good.
Blacklsbadventures has some very good guides - I followed that for the valve clearances  :thumb:

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2021, 19:51:14 »
Going off the subject, another helpful guide wrt 650's valves is https://circlenz.co.nz/Suzuki-v-strom-DL650-valve-check-and-adjustment/

Offline Ju_Strom

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2024, 09:14:50 »
Hi. Resurrecting a years old thread is definitely not netiquette, so accept my apologies please.
I had just this same problem yesterday, 650 K5, solved it by cutting straight across the screw head and then using an impact driver - once the screw rotated one full turn I was able to continue with two different screwdrivers. Message to self: Remember to buy new screws.

No fork boots on mine, next time I get a new bike I'll be fitting fork boots right away, I can't get this allen bolt to shift at all, I think if I had the right sized deep reach allen socket on an impact gun it would shift easy enough, may end up having to take the forks in to a bike shop now, I would rather have done everything myself and given everything a good clean, some new tools needed for my garage I think soon.