Author Topic: Speeding in France  (Read 586 times)

Offline MilozFolly

• Bike: DL650 L3
Speeding in France
« on: September 01, 2024, 18:34:18 »
Afternoon all - just got back from a 8 day jaunt through Belgium, Lux into Saarburg in Germany, over to Rothenburg, back to Baden-Baden then down the b500 to the bottom of the black forest.  I came back through France to visit some of the war memorials around Verdun and then spent a final night in Arras before heading back to the tunnel.

Bike behaved perfectly and, mostly, so did I.  BUT - I think, on the last leg back toward Arras, in a 110 zone, I was brefily distracted by some dodgy car driving and may have strayed into  90 zone.  I "think" I saw a flash.  Soooooo, any experience on how rigidly the Gendarmarie follow these things up?  Any chance that they may simply not bother?

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
Re: Speeding in France
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2024, 19:03:50 »
They can't do anything now since we longer share driver records with the EU post Brexit. Just before the leave date, they sent out a big glut of fines (of which I was one) but, even then, it was about €60 and no points since they can't be applied across borders either. In short, you're all clear unless they stop you in person.

Online crump

• Bike: DL650XT L5, Yamaha FJR1300
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2024, 19:30:06 »
Not been caught in France but me and my mate got done in Germany, it was a completely accidental speeding but we got flashed. Thought we'd got away with it but both got fines through about 4 or 5 months later. The fine qas about 17 euros so we just paid it. Can't remember if it was pre or post Brexit.

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2024, 19:51:48 »
It's the Bastille for you next time you go, Millozfolly!

Offline MilozFolly

• Bike: DL650 L3
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2024, 20:38:25 »
Oooooh - well as an honest , breif, mistake it'd be nice to get away with one but I shall keep some cash to one side just in case anyway I think! 

I may want to go back and no, not to the bastille......

Offline SharpSword

• Bike: V-Strom 1050XT
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2024, 21:18:39 »
I've been flashed a few times in France pre-Brexit and never heard anything. You could be lucky! :)

Offline Rusty Nuts

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2024, 21:30:25 »
Got flashed by some working girls in Compiègne many years ago. And no, I didn't pay a sou.

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2024, 21:54:55 »
I was flashed by a camera in Plymouth and, I knew it was there! I lived in Plymouth for many years and didn't speed through that area, I did make rapid as safe progress through the traffic though.

Anyway, I had clearly forgotten about the camera and also let my speed creep up in anticipation of the 40mph sign coming close.  So, I received a penalty notice 3 points and £100 fine. I paid the fine but never received the points on my licence and the £100 fine was paid back into my account. This happened over the period of about a month. I'm happy but confused?  :roll: :crazy: :thumb:
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline Hugo Magnus

• Ride Coordinator
  • Bike: DL650A L3, DR-Z400s Multistrada 1260ST
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2024, 06:33:27 »
I had a ticket from `Spain recently 115 in 100 zone just outside Santander
I paid up.
The interruptions ARE the journey  (Ted Simon)

Ride Coordinator

Offline pieman53

• Bike: DL1000 K6, DL1000A L9
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2024, 14:05:44 »
Last year I was done in France yep my fault. Received a fine via the post £60 if you paid within a month, then it went up a great deal if you decided to ignore it. Paid it no points on licence. You can still get done after Brexit.

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2024, 14:21:55 »
Ah, so there must now be a data sharing agreement in place (not publicised it seems), I know the cross border directive ceased to be post brexit but we must have entered into a new agreement to allow cross border enforcement. I guess we're back to where we were before then, fines can follow you home but points and endorsements can't. In that case it's a pay up quick and forget about it :)

Offline Rusty Nuts

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2024, 14:53:52 »
If you get a ticket and if there's the slightest chance you'll be going back, just pay up. Bad enough getting the wrong side of the law here, never mind a legal system we don't understand written in a language we don't understand.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2024, 16:20:00 »
That seemed to be the advice from Dalton White Solicitors too. They said if you go back you can end up in all sorts of trouble and whilst pre-Brexit you could have any court cases considered by a UK court, that can't happen now so it's all done abroad.

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2024, 01:34:27 »
When was this Doc?

If > 6 months ago (and your driving licence record online is clean), then they likely messed something up and so just refunded everyone.

If < 6 months ago, check that you actually complied with the requirements of the points (I.e. sending off driving licence information, or sending it online). Failure to do this normally results in a refund, and then a court summons.

Offline Flanners

• Bike: 15 DL1000 99 Daytona 955i 05 GSXR1000
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2024, 07:42:39 »
Odd...don't believe there is a data sharing agreement with uk and France post Brexit. I'm in France at the moment been flashed a couple of times do usually slow for them....I was out in June/July too haven't had anything either. Nothing on Internet I can find that says data sharing is back in place with France either...

Offline Rusty Nuts

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2024, 09:19:09 »
Doc, was the Plymouth incident a couple of years ago? They cancelled a load of tickets just after a 20mph zone was extended, maybe you were one of those?

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2024, 13:50:50 »
Sorry for taking so long getting back. The incident was about a year ago and was a 30mph camera. I don't know why the fine was cancelled but I'm glad it was.  :thumb:
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Online Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2024, 21:35:21 »
I've just come back from the UK after 2 weeks there so missed the early contributions.

As far as I know you can be traced back to the UK if you've been flashed and if so you can receive a fine which gets extremely expensive if you don't pay it. (All bills here are subject to the same treatment) You will not get points penalty as far as I know, any infringement caught here by 'live' gendarmes are on the spot fines.

Doctor 46, when did Plymouth become French?  lol
So how's it going so far then?

Offline luv2andy

• Bike: DL650X L0
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2024, 11:42:59 »
I was flashed just on the ringroad coming out of Dieppe post - brexit ( last year ) There's a crafty well placed camera just around a set of lights which is a beastly place inasmuch as it's obviously designed/ placed to catch the driver/rider unaware ...but no ticket was sent. I used to get flashed many times in France until they changed the system; then I got about three fines/paid obviously/ and to be honest I wasn't and am not a dangerous speedin lunatic... So I believe it's gone from "no fine" to : "fine" then back to : "no fine" but who really knows ?? Beware of Gendarmes hiding in bushes then your'e time has come to part with the cash.  And if you are going hell for leather on a Motorway they steal the Ferrari and use it for their own purposes.
https://askthecarexpert.com/speeding-fines-France/