Author Topic: Starting Issue  (Read 375 times)

Offline mac8985

• Bike: DL650 L5
Starting Issue
« on: June 29, 2024, 10:10:03 »
Hi
Looking for some advice if possible on a 2015 DL650 that has an intermittent starting problem.
The bike won't start with the 'check' error, I have jumped the dealer terminals to check for an code but it just shows the 'check' message with no error code displayed.
Battery is good (use everyday), main lights and ignition lights come on.  I'm pretty confident its not the clutch or side stand switches.  I have jumped the starter solenoid and the starter turns the engine over but won't start the bike.
I suspect it could be the ignition kill switch (that is never used), but not sure how to check.
Does anyone have any thoughts/similar experience??
Thanks

Online vstroman

• Bike: DL650A L2
Re: Starting Issue
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2024, 11:51:28 »
Those starter/kill switches are a problem on lots of bikes, first place I'd investigate after I'd confirmed the battery was OK.
I have a headlight relay kit fitted which helps solve the problem of the starter switch breaking down.

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2024, 14:58:41 »
 :welcani:
Chec is an ignition problem.

Try a read of this,
https://www.stromtrooper.com/threads/dl-650-gen-2-help-question-getting-desperate.444195/?post_id=5713984&nested_view=1&sortby=oldest#post-5713984

There are some links  in the post that may help too.

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2024, 16:51:24 »
CHEC showing on the display is caused by one of the following  ....
Kill switch.
Side stand down & bike in gear.
Ignition fuse blown.
This Includes the possibility of poor connections in the wiring to the kill switch or side stand switch too. That will have the same effect as a faulty switch or the kill switch in the 'wrong' position.
# The fuel pump will not run/prime in the above conditions.

Or, and more rare, insufficient voltage getting to the display from the ECU (if ignition fuse is OK) In that case, the fuel pump will run/prime as the ECM knows the safety switch positions are OK but the OK message it sends to the display doesn't get through.
A poor connection or corrosion could be the cause here.
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline mac8985

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2024, 13:52:26 »
Many thanks for the comments, I will look at the ignition switch and post how I get on  :ty:  :)

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2024, 16:26:53 »
     I had this on my L2 bike last year,and it was the “kill switch”,the only reason I found it quickly was,I never normally use it,but stopped on a steep hill and used it to stop the engine without taking my hands off the bars,when I came to start up again the “chec” was showing.I turned off the ignition and gave it a good dose of switching the “kill switch” on and off and the bike came back to normal.When I got home, I squirted a load of contact cleaner down the sides of the switch,and again gave it a couple of minutes of ”on/off” and it never happened again.
Ian Mc.

Offline mac8985

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2024, 19:20:20 »
Just an update - the issue was down to the kill switch, the connections have had a clean up and some contact cleaner applied, now working fine  :lala:

Many thanks for the replies  :auto-dirtbike: