Author Topic: Givi Alaska vs trekker33 panniers  (Read 567 times)

Offline buzzwold

• Bike: 2022 DL650 AM1
Givi Alaska vs trekker33 panniers
« on: June 09, 2024, 21:15:30 »
Hi All,
I would like to ask for some advice/ views on the above panniers please.
Currently sat here trying to decide between a set of Alaska panniers or a set of trekker 33's.
Both sets have been mounted on the bike and both look good.
I think I'm erring on the side of the Alaska's. They don't sit quite as high as the trekker 33's and with me being a bit short in the leg department, the boxes being that bit lower help with getting on
and off the bike. Only slight drawback is they are a bit wider than the 33's.
Any pros or cons that you folk have experienced between the 2 styles?
Also would any Alaska or later Dolomiti owners be able to tell me if the Givi "hook" thingy supplied with these panniers work with the PL/PLR3112 racks?
Thanks in advance.

Offline suki

• Bike: DL1000A
Re: Givi Alaska vs trekker33 panniers
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2024, 19:20:21 »
Givi trekker fit the 3112 3 point attachment. I found the back of my calf would often catch the bottom corner of the left hand pannier if moving the bike when still sitting on it, and yes they sit higher, but very firm on bike.

Not quite what you asked for but I use the Kappa version of trekker outback 33s.

They also fit the standard  PL3112 frames but come with adapters to change the top single mount to a double. Sit a bit lower, and don't catch legs. Being top loading has been a gamechanger for the grocery shop, and a bit cheaper than Givi.
I ended up putting some sound deadening foil/foam in the  metal bases as, with my michelin trailmax and previous annakee tyres they really did howl with the boxes on. Not any more.

Offline suki

• Bike: DL1000A
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2024, 19:30:58 »
3112 should be 3105 for the 2014 sorry.  Think I used the 3112 for the 650

Offline buzzwold

• Bike: 2022 DL650 AM1
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2024, 11:56:56 »
I went with the Alaska cases in the end. I know they're a bit wider than the trekker33's
but like mentioned, full top opening seems the way to go.
I put the trekkers on and tried to get my waterproofs out through the half open top, (they are the richa rain warrior set so quite bulky), the opening is just too small. So, popped them back to superbikestore for refund.
Really happy with the way the Alaska's look on the bike. Probably won't bother trying the Givi "hooky" things, lids open fine with the topbox in place.