Author Topic: Service valve ?£?  (Read 1847 times)

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
Re: Service valve ?£?
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2023, 19:23:06 »
Cheers Nigel, didn't notice that in the earlier post, my eyes were still watering after seeing the £1100 price!!
If REM is in the Chester area, here's a few to go at. Maybe anyone who's used any could recommend (or not) or add any that aren't showing on the map.  :)
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline REM

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2023, 23:22:55 »
I’m from Helsby - triangle between Liverpool Manchester and Chester,my model it’s 2017. I think time when £5 per hour, it’s gone many years ago and we live different system time,we need accept the system or fight, it’s your choice. (our choice)

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2023, 10:54:46 »
REM, yes, labour charges aren't what they used to be but there's a difference between getting charged a decent amount & getting ripped off!
Some places will quote a silly price if they don't want the work.....unless you're daft enough to pay of course.
Get on the phone to other garages in the area & ask the question. Know what you want doing, make sure they understand & get a price. When you think you've got a good price have a ride to the garage, have a look at it to make sure it's not a 'cowboy' establishment, then speak to the man personally.
Good luck.  :) 
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline REM

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2023, 12:07:34 »
Thank you Barbel and everyone who help me. I don’t have good experience with Bill Smith service. Maybe Ducati it’s expensive and maybe it’s good service I don’t know ,I don’t have properly somebody who knows about motorcycle service. This is the problem everybody want selling bike nobody want make service. It’s so risky decision. Every year I’m ride all around the Europe.10000 miles and I don’t want to have a problem “somewhere”

Offline Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2023, 12:19:18 »
Everything about Ducati is expensive, they have to pay for all those specific tools nobody else uses somehow  :stirpot:

You want a place that only does servicing rather than sells bikes as well, people I know have great experience with a couple of places locally but they are workshops only with no incentive to make a new bike look attractive compared to fixing the old one. Valve check on a SFV650 was a couple of hundred quid.
No use to you given the distance I know but maybe see if you can find a service centre that isn't a bike dealer.

Offline Spadger2

• Bike: 2020 Suzuki DL650 ,2010 Honda NT700 Deauville
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2023, 14:48:19 »
REM
I've heard some bad stories about Bill Smiths at Chester.

I'm a new Suzuki  DL650 Vstrom owner having owned only Hondas in recent years,I use Blackpool Honda for servicing who I've found to be fairly priced and great to deal with,they'll also lend you a bike whilst yours is in for work but you need to ask before dropping yours off.

I was quoted £350 for a valve check on my CB500X with a further £100 for adjustment which in fairness has easier access than the Vstrom.

Last big service there on my 2010 NT700 Deauville was £750inc the Very Annoying Tax,that included oil and oil filter,air filter,coolant and brake fluid check,plugs,valve adjustment(screw and locknut not shims)inc new rocker gaskets,rear brake pads and a new pair of tyres.
And here's a LOT of plastics to come off a Deauville before any work is carried out.

Ordinary yearly service is around £180.

I've been dealing with them for four years now and feel I can trust them.

I'm up there on the 28 Dec for pair of tyres on the same bike so I'll ask about the Vstrom.

PS, live a couple of miles from J23 M6 so not that far from you,if you're in Helsby it's a 90/100mile round trip for you.
Trying to keep an open mind

Offline Spadger2

• Bike: 2020 Suzuki DL650 ,2010 Honda NT700 Deauville
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2024, 18:00:48 »
REM
I finally got to Blackpool Honda today for tyres fitted to my NT700  Deauville and asked about a valve check and adjust on a DL650 Vstrom,£399 inc VAT.
Trying to keep an open mind