Author Topic: Air sensor and FI light.  (Read 423 times)

Offline LOT46

• Bike: V-Strom 650
Air sensor and FI light.
« on: January 03, 2024, 20:24:19 »
Hi All. Had Bike from new in 2016, 8500 miles on the clock. No problems until last year. Bike on charge for a few weeks and on starting, the FI light illuminated, static, not flashing. Dealer plugged it in and it showed the fault was the air sensor. £250 or so later,new sensor and no problem. Bike back on charge for another couple of weeks, then on turning the ignition, FI light on again. Back to the dealers. Seems the problem was not the sensor, but the cables running from it. Hairline fractures. Cables replaced and 200 miles later, still no problem. Dealer very good and came to an agreement on repair, as I'd already replaced the sensor.  Worth bearing in mind should your Dealer not be so accommodating. No idea what caused the fractures.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
Re: Air sensor and FI light.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2024, 20:27:19 »
Glad you got it fixed. Hopefully that'll be the last of your electrical gremlins.

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2024, 06:08:25 »
Did you perhaps snap a pix or two of the damage?
Is there any method of preventing this type of failure from reoccuring at a future date?

Offline LOT46

• Bike: V-Strom 650
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2024, 19:20:18 »
Thank you both. Sorry Gert,I've no pictures of the affected parts and as the damage is hairline, I doubt you'd see anything. I've yet to speak to the dealer regarding what may have caused it, or if it's a  common problem. After 5 V-Storms,this is the first of any problem I've had. I'll be speaking to the mechanic in due course and if there's any information that may help anyone else, I'll post it on the site.