Author Topic: Chain tension  (Read 1001 times)

Offline Ian T

• Bike: DL650 L3, BMW K75s. Ural 750 outfit.
Chain tension
« on: October 02, 2023, 13:44:46 »
Righto

I know it’s been discussed at length with lots of techi stuffs linked across many forums, as me how I know :dl_hyperhysteria:

Bike is on the ramp just fitted new chain and sprockets. I would rather set the tension now rather than putting it on the side stand as the great Haynes bloke doth decree.

So without any links to techi stuffs and yes I have lowered my bike so know that will effect it, don’t know how but I know it does. 

Can anyone tell me please can I just set the chain at 30mm play on the centre stand and that will do it or does it really have to be done on the side stand.

I realise the bike didn’t come with a centre stand so maybe that’s why the side stand method is written down. But it does seem a bit pants to have a centre stand and not use it.

What say you wise wise peeps please.

Cheers

Ian

Offline crump

• Bike: DL650XT L5, Yamaha FJR1300
Re: Chain tension
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2023, 13:47:43 »
Personally I set the tension on the centrestand, then find the tightest spot, put it on the prop stand and recheck it. If I'm feeling particularly anal, I get someone to sit on it and re check it... but suspect that's a bit ott :)

Offline Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2023, 13:58:59 »
First time I did mine, I set it on the centre stand at the tightest point and then rechecked at that same point once on the side stand.
Now I know the difference, I can use the centre stand every time and just compensate.
I do the same with my oil level ;)

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2023, 16:11:58 »
The swing arm pivot turns the rear sprocket in an arc that is not centred over the engine sprocket and this causes the chain length to tighten or slacken as the suspension compresses and is released.  This eccentric  rotation affects the geometric relationship of the sprockets and will affect the tension of the chain. There are three static states. Bike held upright with both wheel on the floor and suspension in the sag position : Bike on the side stand: Bike on the centre stand. Each position will cause the suspension sag to change and a variation in the geomtric relationship between front and rear sprocket causing the chain to tighten or slacken off.
However I agree with the procedure outlined by Rixington43 .
With the bike on the centre stand  find the tightest spot and mark it in some way tie a piece of wool/cotton round it.  Then put the bike on the side stand and measure the chain slack. After adjusting the chain I would put the bike back on the centre stand and using the marked 'tightspot link' measure from the top of the chain to the bottom of the swing arm. Make a marker out of a small piece of wood that just slips beteeen the chain and the swing arm and you have a forever guide to chain slack with the bike on its centre stand.  In my mostly worthless opinion a slighty loose chain does less damage than a tight one. 
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2023, 16:17:54 »
As an addition, I really like the Motion Pro Slack Setter tool as it allows proper measurement from chain pulled downwards to chain pushed upwards. Yes it's a gadget you don't need but it keeps your hands clean.

Offline Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2023, 16:18:31 »
I'd be convinced that Suzuki quoted the side stand method because of the lack of a centre stand as standard.
And I agree, never too tight.
Set it on the centre, why wouldn't you, then check on the side the first time only.
Upt.

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2023, 17:32:06 »
When I first get a bike I check the chain tension with someone sitting on the bike, once I have it right I pop the bike on the centre stand, if it has one and measure it and then adjust it to that measurement anytime it needs an adjustment.  A few bikes I've had if you set the chain to the manual the chain was way too tight once loaded. Though the vstrom isn't to bad for this.

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2023, 18:57:41 »
I adjusted my chain as per the Suzuki book, on the side stand and twice at two different tyre garages I was told my chain was too tight. The mechanics always adjust it to what I would call slack. I learnt to live with it now as I have a new chain and sprockets.

I do like  Rixington43's solution to the task though. This one, quoted.  :thumb: :ty:

First time I did mine, I set it on the centre stand at the tightest point and then rechecked at that same point once on the side stand.
Now I know the difference, I can use the centre stand every time and just compensate
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline pichulec

• Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2023, 20:25:09 »
Best to do it on side stand. I aim to get the tension the way that chain on max tension touch the rubber under the swingarm. It works perfect.

Offline Ian T

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2023, 06:30:14 »
Thanks everyone

Some great and very helpful replies, I’ll give it a go and I love the idea of getting a reference point then using that. Wonderful.

Thanks again

Cheers

Ian

Offline AlanR

• Bike: DL650XT
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2023, 18:16:21 »
Check out Dr. VStrom on YouTube. His experiments showed that it made little or no difference to chain slack, whether measured on the centre stand, side stand or a paddock stand. Only adding a rider on the bike made any real difference.

Offline Ian T

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2023, 20:14:42 »
Thanks

That’s interesting, I’ll have a look see.

Cheers

Ian

Offline baz-r

• Bike: DL250A 18
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2023, 19:27:25 »
in the last few years I have seen a lot of bikers riding around with their chain as tight as a bow string! it should have some slack in it and only stresses the chain, sprocket carrier bearing and output bearing causing extra wear if its too tight. on most bikes (as the pivot is behind the sprocket) will get tighter as you sit on or load the bike. by all means set it on the stand but check it with you sat on it its got the recommended play