Author Topic: ELECTRICAL FIRE MAX POWER  (Read 1747 times)

Offline 101driver

• Bike: DL650 K9X
Re: ELECTRICAL FIRE MAX POWER
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2023, 23:46:33 »
Thank you and yes I think you are right. Annoying though as the breather hoses are shaped and have to fit where they are designed to go so that they don't get damaged and they don't chafe things like wiring. My electrical supplier had a range of nylon oil safe fittings so I was able to cut and shut the damaged bits out for new whilst keeping the special shaped bits from the old hoses. When some genuine hoses come up I will swap them out. Really looking forward to getting back on the bike. First trip will be back to the place it all went wrong!

Offline Robotstar5

• Bike: DL650K5
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2023, 11:07:29 »
Nice one, your next task is to find somewhere to mount a fire extinguisher  :)

Offline 101driver

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2023, 11:40:47 »
Believe me I have seriously thought about it!!! Reaching through a sheet of fire coming up the front of the tank to turn the ignition off was not an ideal situation with out an extinguisher. My coffee remains shaken vigorously at the fire from the depth of the flask thankfully sufficed. I can't justify fitting one on a bike but I will now always ponder whether to take that last swallow of coffee out the flask on my homeward journey!

Offline 101driver

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2023, 15:51:41 »
UPDATE
So I fitted a voltmeter on the bike, yes I know I really need an ammeter but I just wanted to see if the loads pulled the bike voltage down as they got switched on. I had tested this in the garage measuring voltage and the current draw but I just wanted to see what happened out on the road.
First trip out everything was going well and I noticed the voltage crept up to 15 volts, pulled over voltage dropped and then picked back up to 14.2 with a few rev's back on the road everything fine. Over the next few weeks occasionally the voltage would suddenly rise briefly then settle back down. Back in the garage of course with a proper calibrated test meter fitted nothing untoward happened. The problem started to become worse and more frequent, spikes of 18v occurred, switching the bike off and restarting cured the problem on the road. Obviously voltage regulator fault. Replaced the reg and everything normal.
The reason for the post is, I fitted the meter because I was worried about taking too much power with my accessories despite calculating and measuring actual load when plugged in. The fault was the bike not regulating properly. Whether this was the original fault causing the fire or the fire damaging the regulator I will never know. Fitting a digital voltmeter saved a repeat fire as I would never have known otherwise that that the power was not being regulated and the voltage was rising to 18v