Author Topic: Auxiliary Lights - V-Strom 1050XT  (Read 534 times)

Offline Yellowfox

• Bike: Suzuki V-Strom 1050XT
Auxiliary Lights - V-Strom 1050XT
« on: September 19, 2023, 20:40:00 »
Hello,
I’m considering fitting Givi fog lights to the standard engine projection bars on my 1050XT and am wondering whether the S310 are worth going for. Some reports suggest that the halogen bulbs draw too much power and burn out quickly. Has anyone any experience of having fitted these to the same or similar model to mine? I’m also considering the Givi S322 model which are LED but much more expensive. Am I better off spending the extra on these? Also, regardless of which brand or model of lights I end up fitting, has anyone any experience as to whether they are effective enough fitted to the standard engine bars. Any advice would be welcomed.
Thanks

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
Re: Auxiliary Lights - V-Strom 1050XT
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2023, 20:50:27 »
I had a set of the S310s, they are well made but they do get through bulbs. I tried LEDs in them, but they blew even quicker due to vibration.
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2023, 20:59:21 »
I think I'm right in that the S310s come with 35 watt bulbs as standard. That is a lot compared to LEDs.
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2023, 21:09:03 »
I've got the S310's on mine. I've had them for about 8 years now but have never used them as permanently on spots/driving lights until this last 12 months. They have been on permanently (whilst riding  :))  for that period of time & done about 4k miles.
Previously I had another pair of LED driving lights that were always on & I switched the 310's on just for filtering & a bit more visibility when required. Never changed a bulb in that time.
I did try to fit LED bulbs in them & tried 4 different ones but they were all too long to fit in the housing properly. Plus I found that the LED bulb didn't give out a good bright light, so. I'm still on the Halogen bulbs.
They are 50watt bulbs & draw 4amps each but I would guess the 1050 would have a reasonable amount of spare power? (depends on what else you'll have connected)
There's loads of different LED spots/driving lights out there but some are better quality than others & cost doesn't always decide which is better!! Search ebay & Amazon.
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.