Author Topic: DL1000 running on rear cylinder  (Read 463 times)

Offline DonaldDUKW

• Bike: DL650 KLV1000
DL1000 running on rear cylinder
« on: September 19, 2023, 21:52:23 »
Help!   My 2005 DL1000  with 28k miles is unrideable and misfires terribly on the front cylinder. Effctively it runs only on the rear one but occasionally splutters on the front one if revved.  This started as a low speed/low rev misfire and developed very fast into this.

Here is what I have tried:

• I changed coils/plugs/plug leads and plug caps and plug. The spark at the plug was excellent and constant with RPM  changes.
  • I installed a new TPS and set it to mid-position in dealer mode on the dash.
  • I swapped the front injector with the rear one.
  • I tried my working DL650 petrol tank complete to rule out my tank/filter/pump etc
  • There is a good 12v supply to both injectors.  Injector pipes are all clear and have no kinks or leaks ( did replace the rubber joiner pipe last year and it is still perfect).
  • I checked the resistance across the front and rear injector connectors - they are identical
  • I sprayed Easy Start at the bottom of both throttle bodies to test for vacuum leaks - none.
  • Rubber inlet boots look fine and throttle bodies sit correctly.
  • Compression gauge shows around 135psi on both cylinders.
  • ECU was unplugged and plugged in again 2 minutes later.
  • No errors on the dash in dealer mode

Throttle bodies are next.  Will put it all back together -  hopefully with short vacuum pipes and then test the running voltage on the injector and make sure that it fluctuates with the ECU earth.

Does anyone have any ideas of what else I can try?

Does a 2005 DL1000 have a cam/crank sensor?

Thanks

Offline pichulec

• Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
Re: DL1000 running on rear cylinder
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2023, 22:21:33 »
It does have crankshaft position sensor, not sure about the cam sensor.

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2023, 22:56:35 »
I do recommend having a fire extinguisher (or two) to hand. Ask me how I know  :whistle:
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2023, 23:04:04 »
Pretty sure there is a cam position sensor on the rear cylinder, there certainly is on my '07.
Couple of things you could check;
- Is the drain hole on the side of the block clear? It lets water drain out of the plug bore in case any gets past the plug boot but they can get bunged up. Supposedly SVs are renowned for becoming single cylinders in the rain because of this.
- Timing and valve clearances. I know it's unlikely to have skipped on timing given it's gears but might be worth a check.