Author Topic: poor running issue  (Read 547 times)

Offline timberking

• Bike: DL650 L0
poor running issue
« on: September 13, 2023, 14:02:37 »
hi ,
I have an issue on my 2010 DL650 , its started to run poorly ,mainly miss fire and loss of power . so I tried to go for a run out 4 weeks ago , bike starts and ticks over , headed out and within 300 yards power loss and miss fire happens , pulled over and bike stalls , reluctant to start up again easily but managed to start and limp home going in and out of the miss fire issue and running OK . once sat a while ,bikes does the same , starts up and idles OK , revs and sounds smooth , turn off ,restart and sometimes it sounds terrible and obvious miss fire on front cyclinder.
turn off , restart and its OK again , but everytime I try and ride ,the original problem happens.
things I've done so far
replaced plugs
checked primary and secondary coil readings ( OK)
adjusted valve clearances (a little out so re shimed to tolerance )
replaced air filter
checked fuel tank for debris /rust  ( all clear ,clean tank )
removed injectors , checked over cleaned and replaced , measured resistance and checked for voltage supply from ecu ( all OK )
no fault codes on dash ,  even borrowed a obd reader on laptop , no faults while engine running , can't see any issues on the live data .
its driving me crazy , any ideas would be appreciated , many thanks chris

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
Re: poor running issue
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2023, 14:34:48 »
Have you done a fuel flow test? If the high pressure filter is partially blocked, the symptoms you are experiencing would ring true.

Do a search on the forum, there are videos  :thumb:

Reading your post again, is it possible a coil is breaking down intermittently? Maybe swap them to see if the fault moves to the other cylinder.
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline pb

• Bike: V Strom 650 2015 in blue
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2023, 07:02:22 »
Hi . Check the side stand switch, our blood bike 650 had similar issues , M and P found that water had got into the switch and it was causing all sorts of problems when the bike was under pressure with acceleration etc.

Offline timberking

• Bike: DL650 L0
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2023, 23:16:08 »
Thanks for the info , I'll strip it off this weekend,  fingers crossed its simple as that

Offline Pug27

• Bike: DL1050
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2023, 10:56:15 »
Could be the Throttle Position Sensor on its way out. They behave like this especially when the bike is upto running temp.

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2023, 07:29:18 »
Fat Rat advised you to do a fuel flow test. I recommend that when you do the fuel flow test, you also do a fuel pump pressure test.
The following steps may help if you don't know how to peform a fuel flow test.
 1) The fuel flow test is a fuel volume pumped test. For the steps, have a look at https://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,11603.0.html or consult the fuel flow test in the service manual.   A side note; there are two methods to perform the fuel flow volume test. One is by an ignition cycle test (the few seconds while the fuel pump primes) and the 30 second test, as per the service manual.  The resulting pumped volume will depend on which of these two test methods was applied.
2) the pumped fuel pressure can be tested by blocking off the fuel hose with your thumb or buying / renting a suitable tool for the task. If you do follow the thumb test, block off the fuel pump hose with your thumb, turn on the igntion to prime the fuel pump and feel if there is any pressure being pumped. Note: Take care as the 43 psi fuel pressure may spray if not firmly held closed.
3) Let the pumped fuel stand for a while, to determine whether there is any water mixed in the fuel.

Can you post the results of the fuel flow test?