Author Topic: Generation 3 - DL650  (Read 429 times)

Offline Dave L

• The older I get the faster I was......
  • Bike: DL650 AM3
Generation 3 - DL650
« on: August 30, 2023, 11:11:56 »
Hi,
I switched bikes in June from a 2015 Gen 2 650 to a new Gen 3 650. I did not do the obligatory test ride assuming that the bikes were basically the same. I got a real surprise on the day I picked the bike up and rode off the forecourt.... The Gen 3 engine is a totally different beast. It revs more easily, sounds less under strain at motorway speeds and is generally just a lot smoother.  The brakes also feel stronger, which is strange as the calipers are the same. I did some research when I got home and found the attached article from MCN Australia which explains the change in performance. I've just done a couple of days in Wales at the Bikers Campsite and the bike was flawless. Since June I've put 2200 miles on it despite being away for work for all of July.

Offline Tomfum

• Bike: Suzuki v strom
Re: Generation 3 - DL650
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2023, 13:32:14 »
I agree with some of your findings, but also think the gen 3 has its faults . To adjust the headlamp is a nightmare having to strip the bodywork off and remove the clocks were the gen 2 was a two minute job , also access to the back brake is also a major pain due to the silencer being in the way . This is all design changes that I think Suzuki had not thought about when going for a new look . I do agree the brakes are better and I don't know why as they look the same as on the gen 2 model . The seat is a lot better on the gen 3 as well .

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
Re: Generation 3 - DL650
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2023, 06:09:06 »
Headlight can be reached with a ratchet spanner from below,no need to take anything off.The back brake IS a pain though.I bought a short 1/4 " drive allen head socket to get at the allen bolt and that helped a lot.
The 650 engine is the only one I can think of that got 10 more bhp  AND  10 more mpg through its model life.
DaveL I also swapped my front sprocket for one tooth smaller at 7'500 miles,made all the difference.Better acceleration same top speed and mpg .Also means 30 mph is now in 4th,not swapping from 3rd to 4th and back.I found I changed gear less now because the engine will hold the lower gear lower in the rev range and still pull hard.