Author Topic: Starting problem  (Read 556 times)

Offline Bassman 225

• Bike: DL1000GT K7, Kawasaki ZX-9R E2
Starting problem
« on: August 09, 2023, 06:32:02 »
I've an intermittent fault when trying to start my 2008 DL1000. Ignition on and all looks normal, press starter, click, display goes blank. Switch ignition off and on and try again and bike starts as normal. It's kept on an Optimate and that's showing normal battery condition. Any clues as to where to start looking would be much appreciated.

Offline Hugo Magnus

• Ride Coordinator
  • Bike: DL650A L3, DR-Z400s Multistrada 1260ST
Re: Starting problem
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2023, 07:21:43 »
I would start looking at the starter motor.
The interruptions ARE the journey  (Ted Simon)

Ride Coordinator

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2023, 07:43:08 »
What happens if you press the starter button for a second time, after the gauges blanked out?  Is this failure occuring at any time of the day or is it the first start of the morning?

The first thing that I would do, is to check that both of the battery terminals are clean and tight. Have you got a voltmeter installed? I think a voltmeter is an important accessory for the first gen models, to help monitor both the battery voltage plus charging system. The voltmeter is handy when it comes to heated gear being used. A battery voltage reading at time of the starting failure, would be a big help.

Offline Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2023, 11:16:43 »
Mine was doing a similar thing, first attempt to start after a lay up (hours or days) would result in the headlights cutting as they should but the starter motor not even turning over. I cleaned the clutch interlock, side stand interlock and starter relay to eliminate those but, in my case, it appears to have been the starter button itself. I opened up the switch gear and found the small metal contact on the starter button had some verdigris on it so I cleaned all the contacts and applied a little grease before reassembly. I've not had the issue since.
It may be none of these things but they're all easy to check and none of them will mind being cleaned and corrosion proofed for future.

Offline Bassman 225

• Bike: DL1000GT K7, Kawasaki ZX-9R E2
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2023, 17:59:52 »
Thanks blokes, I'll try the contact cleaning options. It sometimes starts OK, then next time out it takes a couple of presses on the button to get it going. Battery terminals are tight and I've not had an issue so far when it's up to running temp. Checked the voltage off versus running and that's OK. Thanks for the advice.

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2023, 18:14:06 »
Have you checked the main earth? I'm sure I remember at least one post on here where the starting problem was down to the earth connection to the engine.
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline cooltshirt

• Bike: DL650 L6
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2023, 21:20:36 »
Battery earth is a distinct possibility. Got the tshirt  :)
https://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=42082.msg433725#msg433725
"To feel the warm thrill of confusion, that space cadet glow"

Offline Youngman

• Bike: DL650 AL21, CBR954 '03
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2023, 21:18:58 »
My headlight went out on my 2009 Wee 650 and it was the contact in the starter button assembly.
When you hit 'start' it disconnects the headlamp to save power. Open up, clean and reassemble.
Don't forget to festoon a catcher under the bars in case a diddy bit makes a break for it!
It's difficult to soar with the Eagles when you're really a Turkey