Author Topic: kaoko throttle lock advice needed  (Read 586 times)

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
kaoko throttle lock advice needed
« on: May 03, 2023, 18:37:14 »
Evening.
I have been wanting a throttle lock for long rides and decided on the kaoko.However ordering one has given me the coniptions. My bike  is a'22 cast wheel "a" model but with standard Suzuki hand guards,so have a non standard end weight,which are different from xt Suzuki hand guards,apparently? 
  Finding this fitting is vague at best.Most firms have a fitting but mention xt models when talking about handguards.
Also I have hands like frying pans and am worried about the edge of my gloves inadvertently activating  the lock.
Any advice on suppliers ? and fit for the large of mitt? any advice at all as to use?
Ta

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
Re: kaoko throttle lock advice needed
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2023, 08:19:11 »
Sorry I don't have any input regarding models covered, I can at least offer some reassurance regarding the operation. I've never had an issue activating it accidentally, the lock on the end require a positive action to lock it.

Personally I wouldn't recommend the device, in use I am always having to micro adjust the position. They are probably fine on long flat roads, not so much so much in real world U.K.
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline Hugo Magnus

• Ride Coordinator
  • Bike: DL650A L3, DR-Z400s Multistrada 1260ST
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2023, 08:26:12 »
I was disappointed with mine and rarely used it.
The interruptions ARE the journey  (Ted Simon)

Ride Coordinator

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2023, 09:31:51 »
I haven't used mine much either... As above, it's OK on a flat but the slightest incline and you're speeding up/slowing down.
I have a cramp buster which works probably just as well, if not better as you and move your hand around/rest your thumb on it, and the rare occasion I need to remove my right hand from the throttle, I just check it's clear behind me and lose a bit of speed.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2023, 10:50:17 »
I've thought about getting one for a long time, but the price and the fact I try to avoid the long straight roads when on the bike would kind of make it redundant.

I've got one of the Scottoiler cramp busters - had it for a good number of years, even bought a cheapy one for the hack bike.

They are great as you don't need to grip the throttle tube, just rest your palm on it.
I do find it gets in the way on a fast section of twisties, but I just rotate it out of the way. - I place it on the far right of the throttle grip, though I know a few people who place the in the middle of their palm area.

https://www.mandp.co.uk/products/scottoiler-crampbuster-regular-throttle-rest-539501

Ride Coordinator

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2023, 17:49:02 »
Thanks for all the advice people,I emailed my supplier and got another vague reply as to fitment.I think I may try the crampbuster first,for the price it's worth a punt, see how that goes,and have a ponder.
Thanks again